Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Early am arrival in Johannesburg, on to Mala Mala? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/early-am-arrival-in-johannesburg-on-to-mala-mala-581942/)

atravelynn Jan 15th, 2006 04:20 PM

Early am arrival in Johannesburg, on to Mala Mala?

If I arrive on an international flight into Joburg by about 7 am, can I get to Mala Mala later that day?

Is there a website for flights from Joberg to Mpumalanga Airport?

Thanks

austkaye Jan 15th, 2006 04:24 PM

Hi atravelynn,

Yes, we arrived in J'bug about 7.30am and the SA Express flight leaves just after 11am, so plenty of time.
Sorry, no idea about flights to the other airport!

Roccco Jan 15th, 2006 04:31 PM

Atravelynn,

Kruger Mpumalanga Airport is listed as Nelspruit, I believe, on websites such as Travelocity and Expedia. You should have no problem, whatsoever, finding one of many daily flights from Joburg to Nelspruit. Best of all, SAA has a DIRECT flight into Mala Mala. I guess when one lodge can accomodate 50+ guests at a time, it makes it economically viable for SAA to schedule such a flight.

safarinut Jan 15th, 2006 05:03 PM

Roccco

<<I guess when one lodge can accomodate 50+ guests at a time, it makes it economically viable for SAA to schedule such a flight.>>

I could be wrong on this one but I think Lion Sands and Nottens take advantage of Mala Mala's new airstrip.

It also helps running at 80% capacity for most of the year!...Once again a proven track record.

jasher Jan 15th, 2006 05:05 PM

I've always been curious -- maybe one of the MM experts can answer this question (Napamatt?). Can guests at other Sabit Sands lodges use this flight to get to the reserve, and then be transferred to their lodges? Or is it MM only? It would be a lot less expensive than those charter flights!

Cheers,
Julian

safarinut Jan 15th, 2006 05:11 PM

Julian

Which lodges are you referring to?

As I said,Nottens and Lion Sands use this one except if there has been a recent change.

Singita,Londoz,Sabi Sabi all use their own.

In the western sector a number of lodges use Ulusaba's airstrip.

Roccco Jan 15th, 2006 05:55 PM

When I enquired whether or not I could fly into Mala Mala and then get a short transfer to Simbambili, I was told that this would not be possible. Instead, we would have to exit the park and then re-enter at the Gowrie Gate. The transfer would take a couple hours, minimum. I had been hoping to sneak in a game drive through Mala Mala, but, unfortunately, it was not possible. Simbambili accomodations with Mala Mala game drives...I guess that is what Singita is for, if it is within one's budget.

atravelynn Jan 16th, 2006 12:38 PM

Thank you, it's even easier than I thought if SAA has a flight right in to Mala Mala. That saves a day just waiting around.