Reload this Page >

Recommended Books for African Safari

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 04:19 AM
Janice

We are going on safaris in Africa...Tanzania & Botswana. Does anyone have a recommendation of bird or animal books to buy before leaving USA?

Old Dec 21st, 2000, 04:34 PM
Nigel

Check out the 'Safari Shopping' link on http://www.island-safari.com <BR>You will find a selection of books on Botswana's Okavango Delta, as well as general safari books such as the classsic 'The Safari Companion' by Richard Estes. <BR>There is also an excellent computer CD on Robert's Birds of Southern Africa, excellent for doing some research prior to your trip. <BR>

Old Dec 23rd, 2000, 09:34 PM
April

Passport's Regional Guides of Africa - Tanzania, by Lisa Asch, while not an animal guide is a good general information book on Tanzania, if it's still in print. The European people I met on the trip had much better bird books than I could find in Canada but maybe the internet has helped the situation.

Old Dec 24th, 2000, 08:54 AM
Louise

When we went to Kenya/Tanzania we managed to pick up excellent books at the museum in Nairobi which were very reasonable. Before going to Botswana I ordered a wonderful bird book called Newman's Birds of S.A. You can order it through www.africa-adventure.com. Or, you can also wait and get books there which are also more reasonable. I believe some people got theirs at airports. The bird life is fantastic and you will appreciate having a book to identify them.

Old Jan 4th, 2001, 12:38 PM
TC

The best we found was The National Audubon Society Field Guide to African Wildlife. The cost is about $18 US If you can't find it in a local book store, call Alfred Knopf publishers at 800-733-3000 NY. This book has actual pictures of birds and animals instead of drawings which makes identification much easier and more accurate.