Durban, Hillcrest in May/June

Apr 25th, 2005, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Durban, Hillcrest in May/June

Hey,

My husband is going to get a job in Durban (Hillcrest) South Africa. We are going to visit this area in May and June of this year for the interview. Does anyone know what the weather is like in Hillcrest during that time (its near Kloof?) And what is the Durban/Hillcrest area like? I just want to be prepared before I go! THANKS!

Kim
Apr 25th, 2005, 09:58 PM

Hi,

I am currently living in Kloof, very near Hillcrest. It's an upmarket area, with generally large properties and lovely houses, big old trees. The weather is moving toward winter so it has started getting a bit colder now, the nights will probably be quite chilly.

Durban is quite a freindly place, I suppose it depends on what you like and what your used to.

Cheers
Rob
Apr 25th, 2005, 10:35 PM

"Cold" and "chilly" are relative terms! May/June is a great time weatherwise. Rather than the heat and humidity of February, or the Spring winds later in the year.

The 1stweather site (http://www.1stweather.com/regional/c..._climate.shtml) collates records from the SA Weather Service (go to SA Regional/Data archives) although it only has historical data for up to 2002. But to give you an idea (for central Durban, Hillcrest won't be much different), all temps Centigrade:

2002: Ave max 25.2 May, 23.3 June. Ave min. 14.0 May, 11.3 June.

2001: Ave max 25.5 May, 25.0 June. Ave min 14.2 May, 12.3 June.

The lowest temp in those months was 7.1 in 2002 and 9.1 in 2001. And that 7.1 is pretty unusual. For example, in 2001 the lowest temp ALL YEAR was 7.9! I can remember a business trip to Durban when the early morning temp was about 8 and everyone was talking about how cold it was!

(I was born in Durban and lived there for over 30 years, but alas no longer, I'm in Jo'burg. And people from these parts rush to the KZN coast in Winter to get some warmth!)

Apr 26th, 2005, 01:26 PM

I used to live in Durban and work in Kloof - trust me the difference in temperature can be rather big. But it's still very mild.

I love Kloof/Hillcrest area. It's jokingly called the last British Outpost. The area has a very villagey feel but is still close to the metropolis of Durban. It's a wonderful area to live in and work in. Once I had the job there - I didn't want to work anywhere else in Durban.

Search this Thread