Duffle Bags

Sep 17th, 2004, 09:19 PM
Original Poster

Duffle Bags

We just purchased 2 duffle bags for our trip to Botswana. K-Mart had the perfect bags; lightweight, sturdy construction, u-zippers, straps and pockets. The price was unbelievable - $19.99 for a 26" duffle. The 24" one was $17.99.

At first, I wondered how I was ever able to get everything I needed into one bag, but I just made up my mind to forget about being fashionable and simply take along the basic necessities. I did a "practice run", and there really is enough room in the 26" bag. If I had to, I could squeeze into the 24" one.
Sep 18th, 2004, 02:30 AM

The first time we went we really couldn't believe we'd be able to get by on so few clothes but a) we made a lot of use of the laundry service and b) we realised that absolutely no one dresses up for dinner - everyone did as we did which was just to put on clean clothes for dinner that would then be worn for the next day's activities.

More space you can leave empty more space you have for a few souvenirs!

Sep 19th, 2004, 07:50 PM

Would recommend the smaller duffle, since it is very easy to go over the weight limit.
With the small duffle having less space makes it easier to stay within the weight limit.

We actually ended up only using have the clothes we took. We did take clothes to give away on the start of our journey in Zim. Since Zim was our first stop, we were able to take more than 25 pounds. We just gave away the extra clothes when in Zim and were within our 25 lbs limit when on safari.

We did learn the 25 lb limit is suppose to include your day pack, camera and duffle. Our flights were not sold out, so it was not an issue, but the pilot did tell us we were over the limit. Our duffle was under 25, but when we added in our day pack - we were over the 25 lb limit.
There was a couple on our flight that was way over the limit and they were required to ship a box ahead.

Search this Thread