Dubai - What not to miss?

Feb 26th, 1999, 08:32 PM
Jules

Dubai - What not to miss?

We have a two day stopover in Dubai in August and wonder what's the best way to spend our time? Any hints would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Mar 9th, 1999, 03:47 AM
francesca

We enjoyed the carpet market in Sharjah, the excellent Dubai museum and fort (small, accessible and well worth it), the boat trip down the "creek" and an afternoon at one of the luxury hotels (you can spend a day at their beach if you pay a one-day membership fee). I don't remember which one, though. For restaurants, we loved the Automatic (lebanese, in a shopping mall, very well known) and a crazy Indian nightclub with bombay MTV videos--I'm sure there are several of them.

Jun 25th, 1999, 03:14 AM
Mike

There are many souqs (markets) around Dubai area, but my favorite is the Masafi Friday Market. It is about 1.5 hours out of Dubai on the road to Fujierah (East Coast) and is open every day despite the name. Beautiful carpets mostly from Iran, fresh fruit from Iran and East Africa, nice local pottery, etc. Also, a drive through the stark beautiful mountains this time of year will be hot, but no less so than Dubai. I heard the creek cruise was nice, but never did it. Wonderful Desert Museum in Sharjah on Airport Road. Amazing displays on nature, man, geology, etc. Can do the Museum on the way home from the Masafi Market. Have fun.

Search this Thread