DUBAI STOPEOVER

Old Jan 28th, 2005, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DUBAI STOPEOVER

I'm a newbie here. I am travelling alone to Europe in Jly/Aug and am stopping over in Dubai for 2 nights, I realise its okay for women to go around on their own their but am wondering if there is anything I should know or be wary off.
My plane doesn't arrive til late evening is it okay to catch a cab I am staying at the Le Meridian.
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 07:50 AM

Absolutely no problem at all. taxis are highly organised, smart cars and smart drivers. You will enjoy the shopping and some great restaurants. Naturally although Dubai is an amazingly safe place that doesn't mean you throw away common sense, Dubai residents fine but remember 'other tourists' they might not be so honest!!
Oh and do dress sensible and modest.
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 05:57 PM

I'll bet the Le Merieden you are staying at is the one directly across from the airport. There is a shuttle bus operating between the airport and the hotel. If you don't want to wait for the bus, cabs are very safe. Malls are great, you see women in everything from abayas (aka black bags) to miniskirts. Nobody seems to fuss about what you are wearing. The dubai museum is a good place to visit, its basically located underneath the old fort in the center of town.
Weather in July/August will be unbelievably hot and humid, don't plan on walking anywhere unless you are acclimated to the tropics
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 12:20 AM

Hi

You should be fine My wife and I went to Dubai on vacation in March a couple of years back and we had a great time there. I have posted a trip report with some pictures from our stay in Dubai on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com Maybe you can find some useful information there

Regards
Gard
Stavanger, Norway
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 01:50 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your replies. puts my mind at rest. At 62 modesty is my middle name will certainly check out the web sit Gard
I intend to take organised tours rather than try to walk around, we often havee 40+ deg days here in Sydney but I don't walk around unless I have to, I am assuming it is much hotter there in the summer.
Kind regards Irene, Sydney, Oz
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 09:02 AM

Hi,
I was in Dubai just two weeks ago and had no problems there (I'm a 40-something female).

An easy way to get around town is the hop-on, hop-off bus tour. For about $30 US you can take the double-decker tour busses around town. There are guides on the bus who tell you about the city and what you're seeing. You can get off if a stop interests you and just catch the next bus. There are two bus routes - one goes through town and one goes out to the beach area. Your ticket lets you go on both for a 24-hour period. You should be able to get information about the bus tour at your hotel.

Also there will be no problem getting a cab at the airport. Many, many flights get in late at night. You will be amazed at all the activity!
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 05:31 PM

Temperature wise in Dubai for July/August, think 50 Centigrade and very humid

It is kind of warm!