Dubai Shopping Festival

Sep 29th, 2004, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Dubai Shopping Festival

We plan to spend a week in Dubai with one night at Burj al Arab at the end. Thought about a helicopter trip, a desert trip, vistit the souks etc. But still not sure, if the Shopping festival in January is worth the higher price compared with December (also possible for us) . Is there firework every night?
Thought about Inter-Continental, Hilton or Sheraton at Dubai Creek because of the location. Any recommendations?
Sep 30th, 2004, 12:59 AM

Don't know about the fireworks, but be aware that if you visit during the shopping festival, traffic is horrific! Traffic is bad on a regular day in Dubai, but during the shopping festival it's a real zoo.

We've stayed at the old Hilton before - it's okay - has a good Italian restaurant and is a very short distance from the gold souks. The new Hilton is supposed to be much nicer, but I have no first hand experience.

Dubai is very compact, so unless you're staying on the beach, distances are relatively short no matter which hotel you choose.

Have fun.
May 7th, 2005, 07:11 PM

I went to the Dubai Shopping festival this past January 2005. What a joke!!!

It is soooooooooo overrated and over hyped. Much ado about nothing !!

The InterContinental is a fine hotel. I have stayed there 3 times. The Hilton down the street is maybe a tad bit nicer. The Sheraton not as nice as the other 2. But, all are fine and offer pretty much the same thing. Go for the cheapest price as they are all within a block or two of each other.

Just don't go during the Shopping festival as you pay much more and it is a letdown. (BTW, I live in NYC and I can buy anything I want here. I don't need to fly 15 hours to go shopping.)
May 8th, 2005, 02:31 PM

Whatever you do - do not miss the Sunset Dune Dinner safari. It was the highlight of my trip!

I would recommend that you stay in the city rather than at one of the beach resorts. Other than that - I'm not much help - I travel on a strict budget.

I loved Dubai. We went in October though so no advice as far as Dec or Jan.

Search this Thread