Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Suggested Africa tour group for solo traveler?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2005, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Total newbie to Africa travel. If given 12 days where should ones first trip be? Would enjoy a tented safari, seeing some of the ocean, a group where I would be comfortable as a solo. Not too pricey..
Thanks
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 07:11 AM

Hello...I am also a solo traveler. I'll be going to Zambia in September with Wilderness Travel. The price is reasonable and there are only 5 or 6 people on the safari and, as far as I know, 3 of us are solos.

If you're interested in Botswana, Natural Habitat has a small group safari called "Secluded Botswana".
Another Botswana small group option is called "The Great Wilderness Journey" which uses Wilderness Safaris camps and lodges and can be arranged through any number of operators (check out Fish Eagle Safaris).
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 09:41 AM

foodiern,

You have a couple different options. You may want to do a mobile camping safari to Botswana with Wilderness Safaris, the best regarded company in possibly all of Africa, or you may want to do solo travel with another highly regarded company CCAfrica, staying in their lodges or on a mobile camping safari. The good thing about CCAfrica is that their lodges do not charge a single supplement.

By requesting to see some of the ocean, with only 12 nights, you may be limiting yourself to South Africa, unless you do a very short safari. Chances are you are going to need at least 1 night in Johannesburg, and that you would want no less than 3 or 4 nights by the ocean (most likely Cape Town). That leaves only possibly 7 nights for your safari, which will take most every mobile camping safari out of the equation.

Knowing what I know now, after 3 safaris, and with my 4th booked, and my 5th partially booked, I would suggest that as a solo traveler, you do one of the mobile camping safaris offered by WIlderness Safaris or CCAfrica.

Please feel free to e-mail me and I will provide with direct links to such mobile camping safaris and my recommendation for a good agent to book your safari.
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 03:37 PM

Foodiern:

Does the 12 days include your travel time to get there and get home (usually two days each way)?

If you want an extremely nice safari contact www.southerncrosssafaris.com. They can set you up with two tented camps, one in Tsavo East National Park and one just outside the park, could then take you to Tsavo West for a day or two, then on to Amboseli and if you have more time, several days at Maasai Mara. They are located in Mombasa. Both north and south of Mombasa have great beaches also. They are much more reasonable than CCAfrica.

I have used them on all seven safaris and for a woman traveling alone they are super. You never have to worry about anything.

Jan
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 06:56 PM

Foodiern,

Welcome to Africa travel! I don't know that there is a trip that should be a first safari. It's what is important to you.

A few questions for you to help you and us come up with a good plan.

What month of the year do you think you will be going?

Are you more interested in viewing/photographing animals from a vehicle or spotting them on foot or from a canoe? Vehicles usually provide better access and views, but offer a less active trip. Of course you can combine walking and driving.

Is seeing the wildebeest migration a priority?

Is seeing Victoria Falls important to you?

Do you want a very secluded experience or would you tolerate sharing your game viewing with other vehicles?

Do you wish to swim/snorkel in the ocean or just have nice views of it?

Are there any animals you would really like to see?

Phernska mentioned Natural Habitat. I've gone with them for 3 wildlife viewing trips, though not to Africa, and they were great.

Happy planning and I know you'll come up with a great itinerary if Africa is the destination.