Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Dubai hotels & shopping (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/dubai-hotels-and-shopping-242637/)

Jill Jul 24th, 2002 04:08 AM

Dubai hotels & shopping

I am going with a girlfriend to Dubai July next year and are planning to stay at the Hyatt for 3 days and then have for 4 days at either Jumeirah Beach Resort or Le Meridian at Jumeirah Beach. Has anyone any recommendations for any of these hotels or a better suggestion? Have also been told many times about how good it is to buy gold in Dubai but no-one seems to give a ballpark figure on any items - can anyone please help?

xxx Jul 24th, 2002 03:47 PM

Both are fine. But be prepared for HEAT. <BR>Did you read the story in today's Gulf News? (www.gulfnews.com).<BR>The temp in Dubai tomorrow could reach 50 Celsius (about 130 F) with nearly 100% humidity. Now that is HOT, HOT, HOT!!

Les Jul 30th, 2002 05:21 AM

Jill,<BR><BR>In my opinion the Jumeirah Beach Hotel is over rated and not worth the money.It's a tourist trap.<BR><BR>I may be biased after staying at the Le Royal Merdidien, Jumeirah Beach and only visiting the Jumeirah Beach Hotel but it was a more personal service, friendly atmosphere and the Spa is great.<BR>The food was of excellent quality and if you are intending to go in the summer there is every chance you will be offered a Tower Suite at a minimal cost of upgrading.<BR>Why are you staying at the Hyatt ? <BR>Most Jumeirah Beach Hotels offer shuttle services to the city.And if you are going in the summer I wouldn't stay in the city, stick to the beach area.<BR><BR>As for the price of Gold, it worked out only a little cheaper but it was 24 carat - about &pound;200 (sterling) for a bangle.

Jill Jul 31st, 2002 03:52 AM

Thank you xxx and Les - both replies are very much appreciated. Les we thought we would stay in near the Gold Souk and shop around in the city for the 3 days and then spend the last 4 relaxing at a beach area. Prior to Dubai we will be in Egypt for 12 day tour/7 night Nile cruise. I guess the last 4 days at a Beach area seemed a nice way to relax before the long flight home to AU. Thanks once again - Jill.

nnnn Aug 1st, 2002 04:20 AM

July is possibly the worst time to be in Dubai - the weather is gorgeous from November to May, while the summer is stifling and muggy. That said, it is a good time to shop and get great deals at hotels. Try the Le Meridien Mina Seyahi, they have a great beach... So does the Jebel Ali Resort, whch is about 25 minutes outside the city. For hotels in the city, I would recommend the Emirates Towers which also has some great dining options and the Hilton Dubai Creek, which offers great views of the creek that runs through Dubai. <BR>I've never bought gold in Dubai, but gold prices these days have gone up all over the world... people also buy diamonds in dubai. <BR>Also try the jewelry stores in the Malls - City Center, BurJaman and Ghurair Center are the best known. <BR><BR>Transport in Dubai is really convenient, cabs are really clean and available everywhere. <BR><BR>

Les Aug 2nd, 2002 02:49 AM

Jill,<BR><BR>Forgot to mention that if you stay in Jumeirah Beach, get a sea view room otherwise you will be facing the building site for Dubai Marina. They are also building a new island called Palm Island. More hotels and shopping malls...

emad Aug 3rd, 2002 09:34 AM

I live in Dubai - your idea of dividing the trip between the city and Jumeirah is a good one. The Hyatt Dubai creek is ultra stylish, and furnished like a boutique hotel - plus it has Verre, a Gordon Ramsay fine dining resto at very reasonable rates. All the Beach hotels are worth it, although Jumeirah Beach club is most. Instead, you could saty at the dubai marine beach club, nearest to the city and with great facilities and restos.<BR><BR>Lastly, you should reconsider July (and june and august. Sept to May are months to visit. Even dubai residents flee the summer months!

Pete Sep 6th, 2002 12:57 PM

i also live in dubai and here is the color. do not stay in the city, from the opening minute you will wish you stayed on the beach. jumeriah beach resort is a bit flashy but has a great water park next door. dubai marine beach resort has the best collection of restaurants and fun bars, a small beach and pool, and is very close to city center. jebel ali is at least 40 mins from the city. ritz carlton, royal mirage and le meridian mina seyahi are all good choices and are a 20 min ride from town. spot gold prices are listed in the paper. multiply it by the weight, add $20, and hold that price. they will negotiate to your levels. <BR><BR>also, dont come in july or august if you can avoid...that is why everyone here gets so much holiday time - to leave in the summer. it is stiffling.

J Oct 1st, 2002 01:49 PM

We went to Dubai this year for 2 day stopover in August. Awfully hot but you can survive. We stayed at the beach (Oasis Beach Hotel) and wished we had stayed in the city where there is much more to do. The beach was too hot to go on and the sea was hot! The hotel pool was also hot and crowded. It's an expensive place but a (cheap) local bus runs up the beach all the way into the city. We took it twice (hot but you see the locals!) We also turned up on spec at the creek and did a river boat dinner cruise for a fraction of the cost of the tour offered by the hotel. The Malls are very glitzy and expensive. The spice souk is great and the traders (mostly Iranians) really friendly. We bought some gold - a beautiful Italian design white gold necklace for about 200 pounds sterling. Some of the gold is hideous, depends on your taste but the prices are very good and you must haggle.<BR>All-in-all it was good for 2 days but it cost us almost as much as 3 weeks in Thailand! Beware!

Emirati Oct 3rd, 2002 02:17 PM

Speaking from an Emarati prospective I think it is better to stay in one hotel instead of two because it is only 25 minutes max from the hyatt hotel to the beach hotels. Personally, I think you should stay in one of the beach hotels and take the shuttle to the city. As for hotels, I sugguest you stay at the Royal Mirage becuase it has arabic flavour to it. It's rooms are huge and come with a balcony. The JUmairah Beach is shaped as a sail and it has all it's rooms facing the sea. The rooms are done in a way to enable you to see the sea from your bed. The hotel has 7 resturants and a water park right next to it. Hope I was of some help to you.

nick Dec 9th, 2002 05:34 AM

Hi<BR>I would balance out as you have - but frankly depends on your interests.<BR>One thing that you might like to do is be treated to manicure etc - the N Bar is newish chain of 4-5 manicure/beauty places where husbands etc are banned from - you get shooed out (cannot even wait in reception). It is 100% Filipino staffed and my wife who really knows what she is talking about on this said it was the best manicure and pedicure she had ever had - about 2 hours worth for about $25. Women were going in and out of this place all the time I was waiting.<BR>I thought Royal Mirage looked far classier than Jumeirah Beach where the public areas remind me of an airport.