Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Dubai - Help deciding where to stay (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/dubai-help-deciding-where-to-stay-889738/)

jennyface May 7th, 2011 11:16 AM

Dubai - Help deciding where to stay

I'm a 24 year old female making a 3 1/2 day stopover in Dubai and I need help deciding where to stay. I'll be traveling solo in mid-July and yes, I am aware that July is the hottest month. I've done some research and can't decide if I should stay near the Mall of the Emirates area (I can escape to the air-conditioned mall when needed, I'd like to board at Ski Dubai, the beach is close? & the hop-on/hop-off bus has a stop there) or go more towards the Bur Dubai area because it seems like there would be more to do there.

I also have a couple more questions - would a day or half-day trip be ok to Abu Dhabi? If I can I'd like to visit the Sheikh Zayed and the Ferrari park to ride the roller coaster - I can't decide if I should change my flight to extend my stay a day or two. Besides the sightseeing w/ the hop-on/hop-off bus, I'd also like to do a desert safari trip for one of the nights.. they still run over the summer right?

Thanks, any help would be nice =)

qwovadis May 8th, 2011 02:28 AM

Usually go with great hotels at great deals this one

below a 5 star from $100 or so Otel.com plus cash back

simply awesome deal other options booking.com usually more $$

Bonnington Jumeirah Lakes Towers Hotel
Jumeirah Lake Towers 37246 Dubai, United Arab Emirates
0.1 km from Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates

this area is best preittiest place to locate for me.

tours run all year... Abu Dhabi not much different for me.

Stay in AC or on the beach during the day have fun,

peg Jun 2nd, 2011 03:02 AM

Abu Dhabi is about an 1 1/2 from Dubai with no traffic (metered taxi will cost you about 250 dirhams plus tip). Half day would not be feasible. I'm assuming when you say Sheikh Zayed you mean the mosque? If so, get there around 9:15 - 9:30 am, that way you will go inside before the 10 am tours start and all the people. Although its July so there may not be many, and it will get hot. Secondly, if you take a taxi there, you will want to ask him to wait (they can wait up to an hour without the meter running). Very hard to get a taxi in that part of Abu Dhabi. It's about a 30 minute drive to Yas Island and Ferrari World. Check online first to make sure the coaster is running. It has been on and off this year.

lincasanova Jun 5th, 2011 12:57 AM

We stayed at the Sheraton Creek on the river across from the old town market. It was a great, peaceful place to be. I much prefer that to the beach areas and malls. But if you are going to shop, maybe you don't mind.

The river area is so nice that it is very relaxing to watch the traffic of boats back and forth during the fabulous breakfast buffet. There is no road between the Sheraton and the river. There is a lovely landscaped walking path. Other hotels are on the other side of the busy street.

It was in a very safe neighborhood. I wen tout walking many times in the morning alone, snooping around the shops and local eateries full of workers. It was not touristic.

There are small wooden abras that cross the river taking you to the market and restaurants and cafés on the other side. There is also a fine self serve cafeteria with reasonably priced dishes in a government building to the left of the hotel.

A taxi to the airport was very little. maybe $8? We took taxis many places since there was no reliable public transport when we were there 4 years ago. They were very cheap, even the longest rides.

A desert tour will be a highlight, but no need to sleep in the desert. Go with a reputable company. They will pick you up at your hotel.

The golf courses have great restaurants in a lovely atmosphere.

We were there for 5 nights and had a great time checking out all the fabulous restaurants and rooftop bars. Read up as Dubai really has nothing else except a very small museum, extensive beaches that aren't anything too special, luxury everything, and extremely service oriented staff. Food was very very good. and not overpriced (on European standards).

Be sure to try the lemon/mint green drink that is offered everywhere. It is so refreshing.

angelic_face Jun 17th, 2011 06:11 PM

Try the Amwaj Rotana Hotel along the Jumeirah Beach Residence. Nice beach view from the room, friendly staff, good restaurants (would highly recommend Benihana Japanese Restaurant or Rosso Italian Restaurant), and just a walking distance to the clean pulic beach! Taxi is very convenient if you want to go to the Ski Dubai in Mall of the Emirates, around 10 mins. drive from the hotel. Then you can go around the JBR to shop and dine. Very nice place!