Search

Dubai Airport Review

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dubai Airport Review

Huge airport, with about 4 floors (website www.dubaiairport.com)). It’s nearly all duty-free shops, the largest we’ve ever seen. They resemble grocery stores, with many cashiers lined up, each running a separate conveyor belt/cash register. All the usuals are for sale (e.g., liquor, cigarettes, perfume, jewelry), but also less frequently seen items like TVs, blenders, and other household appliances. Passengers walk through the airport with their luggage carts (which resemble shopping carts) piled high with duty-free. There are smoking rooms and other stations throughout the airport, including in the Emirates lounge. In August of 2007, there was NO visa required for US citizens who were on a 96-hour stopover in Dubai (or for transit passengers). Emirates passengers with a layover of greater than 4 hours are entitled to a meal in specific restaurants. There are separate lounges for business and first-class passengers.
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 04:59 PM

Thanks for the info-we were supposed to be there for a 2day stopover on our way to Africa-isn't that where you went also? Is there a trip report in the works?
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 06:28 PM

I can't give a great review for the Dubai airport. Just transitted thru the airport last week ..... infact, the last few times the airport resembled a bus station. People sleeping all over the floor around the walk ways etc etc., it's a zoo!!!

However, Emirates is awesome!!! so i will put up with the airport.......
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 07:26 AM

I have a lay over at Dubai airport coming and going to Tanzania. On my return, my layover is from 11 pm to 2 am. Does anyone know if the shops and or restaurants will be open then? I can't find anything on the airport's web site.
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 07:38 AM

we were there in the middle of the night for a 2 am flight....everything was open!
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 07:55 AM

Now way! Great news b/c I don't think I'll have time to really explore all there is on my inbound flight layover. Thanks so much Grcxx3.
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 08:00 AM

When are you going? I was there last Feb - but I can check with some friends who fly thru there regularly just to make sure.
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 08:14 AM

Another big cheer for the Dubai airport. I stopped there on the way to Nairobi and was amazed at the cleanliness.

On the way home from Africa I had a 9 hour layover in the Nairobi Airport and I only wished I had the layover in Dubai.
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 08:18 AM

We're going through there this weekend and return the following one.
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Yes, the shops and restaurants will be open from 11:00 pm to 2:00 am. That was the same time for my layover (from Dubai to JFK). I've never seen an airport that busy during the night (not that I've found myself transiting at those times very often). I believe that this airport is like "Grand Central Station" at all hours of the day. There were many people sleeping on the floors (atop and covered with newspapers), as a previous poster said. I wondered to my spouse how short must ones layover be in order to choose sleeping on the floor over getting a cheap hotel room nearby (I think there's even one at the airport itself that rents by time segments--I want to say that they rent by the hour, but that gives you the wrong impression!) or paying the one-day rate for an airline club.
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 09:22 AM

I've been told the middle of the night is Dubai's busiest time.
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 09:46 AM

Can't wait. fluffnfold we have that same flight back to NYC! I'll defenitely make my experiences at the airport part of my trip report.
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 12:18 PM

DXB is busy 24/7, even in the middle of the night/morning. It's a hub connection to distances far and wide.

Yes, lots of people catching Zzzzzzs on the floor.

Yes, lots of people shopping for just about anything, but personally, didn't see/find items that I'd want to drag home with me. Much was similar to what can be found in most international airports... not all, but most civilized ones.

Just be prepared when connecting on the outbound heading to NBO (and maybe even to DAR) that the gate used is at the farthest end of the terminal, where I asked the agent if it was "in the same country?" Thankfully, they have enough moving sidewalks to get you where you're going.

Old Sep 25th, 2007, 06:09 PM

Yes, shops open thru the day ..... a lot of flights operate after midnight thru the night and the aiport is very busy always.

Yes, my connection to Joburg in May/june also was from a far and away gate and needed a bus shuttle to get to the plane.

Hari
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 10:30 AM

we spent HUGE amounts of time in dubai airport (it seems) on our last trip. Middle of the night is indeed crowded. We paid to use one of the lounges which gave us much more comfortable seats and unlimited food and drink.
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 01:48 PM

I had about a 2 hour layover in Dubai flying to Kenya and coming back to the USA in July 2006. I really like the way that the airport is decorated, but the space is really poorly organized. The lounges at the gates do not open until shortly before the flights board, so most people have to wait out in the main area of the airport. Unfortunately, like many other people have mentioned, there aren't enough seats outside of the gate lounges, so most people have to sit and/or lie down on the floor. Plus, smoking is allowed in certain parts of the public areas, which limits even further the available floor space for nonsmokers. DBX is good for a short layover of less than an hour, otherwise it is very painful.
Old Sep 26th, 2007, 06:49 PM

Yep! spot on.......