In hindsight would you change your Egypt Itinerary?

Old Nov 14th, 2009, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In hindsight would you change your Egypt Itinerary?

Hi...

Just wondering for those lucky enough to have ALREADY been to Egypt, looking back, would you change anything in your itinerary. Would you have chosen a different route, or visited different tourist attractions... gone at a different time of year. Whatever.

Thanks..
Old Nov 15th, 2009, 06:27 PM

I would definitely have gone at a different time of year, but we had no choice! (We went at the end of August and "hot" would be the biggest understatement of my life
Old Nov 16th, 2009, 02:07 AM

sf7307,
Would you say that the heat was unbearable in August? I can only travel in August as I'm an 11-month employee and don't work the month of August. I've been to Mexico, Thailand and Japan in August. If you've been to any of those, could you please give a comparison?

Thanks you (and sorry MissGreen for hijacking your topic).
Old Nov 16th, 2009, 08:08 AM

jlaughs, of those places, I've only been to Mexico, and I don't honestly remember the heat, just the rain.

We waffled about going, but like you, had no choice (we were meeting up with family members who had been living in Uganda and were ending their stay in Africa). Was the heat stifling - yes, and sometimes unbearable. But are we glad we went - yes, too. Just be sure you wear loose fitting natural fiber clothing, a hat (preferably with a broad brim), and always have water with you. Stay out of the direct sun as much as possible -- when you're in the shade, it's hot but fine. You will not be alone -- there were plenty of tourists in Egypt at that time of year -- in Cairo, we observed that most of the tourists were from Japan and from Spain and Italy. In Luxor, there were also many people at our hotel from Great Britain (Luxor is a "hot weather getaway" for them -- the people we met were hanging around the pool, not sightseeing!)

We did have air conditioned hotels everywhere, and a swimming pool, which 2/3 of our group of six made use of every day after sightseeing.

Evenings are lovely
Old Nov 16th, 2009, 12:47 PM

jlaughs -

Southeast Asia was by far the worst for uncomfortable weather. Yes during late-October, it was hot, but also humid that I don't ever recall experiencing anywhere else. In the 90-100% range daily and no getting away from it when outdoors. And, I live in NYC, so are kind of used to "ugly" summers with the HHH - hazy, hot & humid (not this past summer though).

Egypt during the summer months will be hot, but not with that kind of humidity. It is what it is.
Old Nov 16th, 2009, 03:00 PM

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts
As for itinerary, we went with a tour group, so went where they went, but if I'd done it on my own, I maybe would have given Alexandria a miss. We enjoyed it, but it wasn't a highlight. Abu Simbel is definitely worthwhile. I kind of wish we'd taken the time to get out in the western desert to at least one of the oases. And another day in Cairo would have been nice. Overall, I thought out itinerary was about right. Three days in Cairo, a day and a half in Alexandria. Night train to Aswan. Two nights there. Then 3 nights on a Nile cruise boat and an extra night in Luxor. Then back to Cairo for a final night. Overall, pretty nice.
Old Nov 17th, 2009, 07:16 AM

I agree with althom regarding Alexandria. I would not have considered going there had I known what I know now. It is a very long day and was an expensive option on the GCT tour.
Others may and will disagree with me on this but varied opinions are what this forum is all about. Also, I wish I had spent more time at the Cairo museum.
Old Nov 17th, 2009, 10:15 PM

sandi,
Have you been to Japan in August? I just wonder how you thought it compared to SE Asia. For me, Japan (particularly Kyoto) was MUCH hotter and more humid than Thailand.

If you don't think Egypt was as bad as SE Asia, then I'm reassured.

Thanks!
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 05:24 AM

jlaughs - I haven't been to Japan, whether August or any other month. Yet a friend who has regularly (has family there and does business also) visited throughout, as well been to SEAsia. Remember conversations in comparing weather, he said Japan was a runner-up to Thailand/Cambodia. Guess we all have different body thermostats. For me it was SEAsia... the worst; almost didn't want to leave my air conditioned hotel room. Any why anyone would want a room with a balcony was beyond comprehension... you couldn't stand/sit out there... ugh!
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 09:45 AM

Planning our Egypt trip for next month and am wondering why you did not like Alexandria. Any thoughts in specific? Also,would you stay in a "neighborhood" in Cairo as opposed to one of the big hotels in Heliopolis or Giza? Thanks so much!
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 04:30 PM

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts
It's not that I didn't like Alexandria. But if your time is limited, it doesn't have the blockbuster sights of, say, Luxor. It's interesting because it's very different from what you think of as "Egypt." I liked the catacombs (very cool) and library. But I could have skipped the rest - just so-so. I did enjoy walking around downtown in the evening, but, again, not as much as the other places we visited.

As for Cairo, yes, I'd recommend staying in a neighborhood downtown rather than out at Giza (unless a view of the pyramids is important to you). I felt like we were isolated by being in the Giza area.

Oh, also, I did enjoy the stop at a coptic monastery in the desert on the way back from Alexandria.

My trip report if you want to read all the details (and see some pics) -

http://www.fodors.com/community/afri...ly-dancing.cfm
Old Nov 18th, 2009, 07:15 PM

<<<I felt like we were isolated by being in the Giza area.>>>

Me, too. I would have preferred to be downtown and travel out to the pyramids one day.
Old Nov 19th, 2009, 08:26 AM

I also felt that Alexandria did not have what I came to Egypt to see. That is ; ancient Egyptian sites. Also, the library is a modern and impressive building but again not what I came to Egypt to see.I would only go there after all other sites were visited.