Dubai

Nov 28th, 2003, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

Dubai

Does anyone know anything about the Shangri-la hotel in Dubai? Also would like to know what to see when visiting Dubai? Will be there in February for a few days. Thank you!
Nov 30th, 2003, 01:53 AM

Hi

My wife and I went to Dubai on vacation in March 2002 and we had a good time there for 9-10 days. I have posted a trip report with some pictures on my personal homepage www.gardkarlsen.com Maybe you can find some useful information there. Get in touch if you have any questions...and have a great trip

Regards
Gard
Stavanger, Norway
Dec 1st, 2003, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much for your detailed report on Dubai. I found it very useful and as a result we will be reducing our time there to 4 days.
Thanks again
Dec 2nd, 2003, 07:52 AM

hello from Dubai -
Shangri La recently opened and high quality serviced.
If you can be more specific about your points of interest I could advise what to do. There is enough in Dubai and in the region to keep you busy for 2 weeks. Although the Emirates try to build up their culural sites it is still relatively limited by US or European standards.
In Dubai I would recomend the Dubai museum (always a hit with our visitors, including children), an abra ride up/down the creek(le boats used by locals to ferry across the creek), an evening at the heritage village/diving village and surroundings with a walk along the creek and dinner at Kan Zamam (local food and shisha - water pipe; no alcohol, though), an excursion to the desert (or more if you are a fan, as there is choice) e.g. around Hatta and then the Hatta Pool circuit with exit in Schwaib, etc. (let me know if you need more)
Additionally you are only 6h away by road from Nizwa, Oman. Such a nice place with the old souk of Nizwa, Jebel Akhbar (culminating at 3000 m with dramatic view like grand canyon but not as large), a typical multi-storey mud house village (quite unique), Fort Jabrin, Bahla and its old castle/wall/potteries, etc.

Search this Thread