duba plains and other wilderness camps

Dec 10th, 2002, 04:52 AM
debbie

duba plains and other wilderness camps

In the "new itinerary" post a couple of you mention Duba plains. I had it booked but am considering changing it because the website for wilderness says there is not as much game there. I am considering Tubu tree, which is a new vintage camp, and also xigera. Any comments or other suggestions? I also have Duma Tau and another camp in south africa. I don't think Mombo is in my price range, especially since I won't be sharing a room. Thanks

Dec 10th, 2002, 06:08 AM
Liz Frazier

Hi Debbie-
I was the one who posted the Duba Plains Camp on my revised itinerary. Quite a few posters have actually been there recently and commented that lions and buffalo were the main concentrations. There had been a battle over the turf and also I believe a new group of lions were threatening the older lions to take over the pride.
There was quite a discussion of whether Duba Plains or Duma Tau was best. I think Duma Tau edged out better for the variety of game. I have both on my itinerary.
Tubu Tree also sounds good and is located in an area of high game concentrations.
I think all of the Wilderness camps are located in the ideal areas of Botswana and you wouldn't be disappointed in any of them. The time of year also comes into it when you visit certain areas. We will be staying at Xigera too.
I tried to do a search on Duba Plains here just now but I couldn't pull up the other posts I am referring to. They are here somewhere. If you check on previous posts you will find those who have visited most of the Wilderness camps.
We will return in May and I will be posting my comments then about all of the camps we visited and the game we saw. I know you will love whichever camps you visit. Good luck. Liz

Dec 10th, 2002, 06:43 AM
kavey

Tubu Tree is relatively new (to WS anyway) so I've not found much feedback on it but it's one of our possibles on our 2004 itinerary.

Also Xigera was a very very very close second to Jacana and in the end I pretty much tossed a coin, also went by which other camps we're seeing and transfer costs.

I think Xigera looks gorgeous and there was some good feedback on it in an article another poster here shared with me recently.

KAvey

Dec 10th, 2002, 08:29 AM
RnR

When at Mombo in October, I discussed other WS camps with WS rangers who fly from camp to camp filling in when permanent WS rangers go on vacation. We wre already thinking about an all-Botswana trip in '03 or '04. Duba Plains was the number one suggestion, after Mombo, without exception. Thus we'll be there for four nights in Sept. 2004. But, I will be very interested in reports between now and then. WS is such a class bunch, I don't think you can go wrong wherever you go!

Search this Thread