Duba Plains

Jan 9th, 2006, 10:17 AM
johan_belgium

Duba Plains

Like I promised I got an answer from Wilderness safaris concerning Duba Plains.

Duba Plains has most water during the following months (May till August) in case of average flood levels. So parts of the concession can't be reached during that time of year. They had some good rains already so this year we'll maybe having more than average flood levels.

So I would think October will normally be a great month to go because you have greater access to the area and it's just before the rainy season so the buffalo are easily found at their favourite feeding spots. Two disadvantages maybe (it's hot and it's the most expensive time of year to go).

Two comments:

I was at Duba in June 2005 and had excellent sightings but at my last day the buffalo crossed a floodplain and the guides told us they wouldn't see that much action for the coming days. So I had a great time but realised that I was very lucky.

Changes in the pride structure can affect gameviewing accordingly. For exemple: the mortality rate amongs the cubs was quite high (duba newsletters on the Wilderness safaris website) - so less mouth to feed.

Johan

Jan 12th, 2006, 07:53 PM

johan, would it be ok to go to duba plains in march OR would the flood level already have risen cutting off some of the prime viewing area??? pls let me know
Jan 13th, 2006, 07:04 AM

Thanks for your comments.

Search this Thread