Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Drought in Kenya affecting your plans to visit in 2010?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We had been planning to start making booking in about a month for a safari in Kenya in Sept 2010. We have been considering 3 weeks in Kenya and Rwanda including Mara, Samburu/Laikipia, Mt. Kenya, maybe Nakuru. Also planning gorillas in Rwanda side trip. I hate to say but I've been busy this summer and just now ran across an article in the New York Times about the drought in Kenya. I'm wondering if we should reconsider Kenya and instead visit Botswana and leave Kenya for another time. What are your thoughts?
Old Sep 14th, 2009, 01:08 PM

purely from animal viewing point, wouldn't drought be good? If it's dry, it means all animals will be concentrated at the remaining water holes and easy to find. also, grasses will be short making animals easy to find as well.
Old Sep 14th, 2009, 01:38 PM

Way
The drought in Kenya is certainly not of that kind lerap is talking of.
Lerap is talking of the "dry season". That's fine.

What you are asking is the impact the drought has on to Kenya's wildlife.
And that is devastating.

There mostly are not such things like waterholes. And if - then they are natural holes which don't get maintained. They dry out and so the animals wander further.

The actual situation in Kenya seems to be sad.

Massai drive their life stock into the parks/reserves. Wildlife-human conflicts are increasing. Animals get poached and the bush meat market has risen significantly.

If Kenya doesn't get a sufficient short "rainy season" which starts normally in Nov and lasts until Dec it's going to be deadly! For all animals as well as for the people.
The long rains start in April and last until end of May. If tahT#s also failing - I have no clue what's going on then.

And to make things worse - the Mau deforestation has a huge impact as well.

If I were in your shoes I would definitely choose Botswana and postpone Kenya until 2011 - despite Sep 2010 is still far.

Your decision.

Maybe you visit www.bushdrums.com

A forum dedicated mostly to Kenya. There you can read for yourself. Posters are also from Kenya so they deliver an objective insight into that topic.

There are also posts on animal sightings and behaviour of guides/drivers at sightings. Not from 2008 or so. From recent experiences.

SV
Old Sep 14th, 2009, 06:08 PM

WayUpNorth,

My question is your question for about the same amount of time at about the same time of year. What I've been able to find is summarized in SV's response here.

I'm checking the weather and hoping for rain for more reasons than travel plans.

http://www.wunderground.com/wunderma...8&zoom=10&pin=
Old Sep 14th, 2009, 08:44 PM

Lynn that site is outstanding thanks.
And we were thinking of going back to Kenya in '10, but wont dont want to add to their water problems. It's absolutely tragic situation, and certainly makes you wonder about the future of Africa and other countries as well.
Old Sep 14th, 2009, 09:35 PM

Thanks for the site link Lynn, but it doesn't show rain yet! I don't suppose you were able to manage that as well.

I have the same questions regarding the drought in Kenya on my plans. Very hard to know what to do.
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 03:50 PM

I know, no rain yet but I keep o checking.

Sallysaab, Your comment about not wanting to add to their water problems by going and using water is one of my sentiments. My other is if everybody stays home, the lack of tourism dollars will be a double whammy with the drought.
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 03:19 AM

<i>My other is if everybody stays home, the lack of tourism dollars will be a double whammy with the drought.</i>

That's my thought as well and we're currently planning to return next year but that could just be selfish rationalization on my part.

I do agree that the impact has been devastating. We saw many carcasses. Most commented that they've never seen it this dry.
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 09:42 AM

WWF just yesterday stated that they fear the Mara river will dry out completely soon - for example it normally has 1.5m of water. This year it has 03 cm depths. That means the Serengeti ecosystem incl. the Mara will loose the wildebeest and their migration as well as predators etc etc etc.

Very very scary outlook.

SV
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 04:42 PM

"Never seen it this dry." Three centimeters is barely wet. Wow. Terrible.
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 08:05 PM

We went in July and it was spectacular. Yes, you cannot miss the draught. However, there are many, many animals (this was my 3rd trip to Kenya), and we were well taken care of throughout.

The villagers would all tell us they don't want tourism to stop as they will lose all their incomes.

As a tourist you will be pampered and have a great time. I guess you have to decide if your going will help or hurt the country.

I priced a trip to Botswana for our family and one to Kenya. The Kenya trip - a private safari in a Landrover staying at very nice places was far, far cheaper than anything I could find in Botswana.

Rwanda is gorgeous.

Follow the situation and decide for yourself.
Old Sep 16th, 2009, 08:09 PM

PS we went with Wildlife Safaris out of Nairobi and they were fabulous - driver Joseph. All the safari companies we contacted were willing to bargain.

We were generous at the villages and orphanages we visited, and with the locals, because we had gotten a very good deal and we could see the money was sorely needed (plus we had saved so much not going to Botswana - that will be for another time)
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 03:49 AM

Atravelynn
SORRY - I am devastated that I twisted the number: 30cm!
That's ten times - but still far too little.

SV
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 04:29 PM

Thanks for the recent account GoCathy. Kenya does not need this. I keep checking the weather sites and hoping. 30 cm still not enough.
Old Oct 2nd, 2009, 05:02 PM

Nanyuki has 20% to 50% chance of rain from Sat 3 Oct to Wed 7 Oct. Nairobi shows rain in the forecast too.
Old Oct 2nd, 2009, 10:19 PM

Thanks for the update. Fingers crossed and hoping that it is widespread.
Old Oct 16th, 2009, 01:31 AM

Kenya is experiencing long rains now. It is said that the rains will continue till the end of December, meaning there will be do drought anymore