Drought impact in Tanzania

Feb 25th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Drought impact in Tanzania

Reading the news reports of power outages, dry lakes, dead animals, armyworms, etc. It doesn't sound good - for people or animals.

On a more selfish note, how much will the drought affect my trip (end of May) and what I see and do? Is there any chance the rains will cause a rebound before June? At what point (if any) do I consider cancelling my plans?

Thanks for your advice.

pete
Feb 25th, 2006, 12:07 PM
bat

Pete:
Our guide thought it was incorrect to say that the situation in Tanzania is a drought. They did not get the amount of rain expected during the short rains. If they get the April/May rains as usual then I would expect a full rebound. There is a true drought in northern Kenya. I am not diminishing the effect of the currrent lack of rain---yes, there has been power rationing because they rely on hyrdroelectric, yes, it affected the migration patterns, yes, cattle died, yes, the animals and the people need rain. We just returned and had a great time--we saw all kinds of fascinating animals and animal behavior. For examples, you can see my report in progress plus others from folks who returned recently.
Feb 25th, 2006, 12:20 PM

Pete,

Let's hope the entire region gets rain, but not overwhelming rain, April/May. As far as armyworms go, the article I read (Arusha Times online, I believe) seemed to suggest that Tanzania was the one country in the region that has the resources to combat them before they become a really horrible problem. Whether that happens or not...well, your guess is as good as mine. Again, hope for rain.

Choosing to cancel is a personal decision. I've been once and will be returning this June. I love it there and wouldn't consider cancelling. For some reason there were many dead flamingoes in Lake Manyara when we were there. It was disheartening and upsetting, but was but one part of the experience, which, taken as a whole, was incredible. It's likely you will see some upsetting things. For us the worst was the evidence of global economic injustice. You will also see and experience miraculous things: the heartstopping beauty of the African skies, the generosity and warmth of the people...oh, and did I mention lions?

Good luck with your decsion.

Search this Thread