Driving up the Western Coast of Turkey in Sept

Jul 20th, 1997, 06:49 PM
Maypole

Driving up the Western Coast of Turkey in Sept

Would like information on pension-level places to stay and eat between Marmaris and Istanbul.

How does one bargain with sellers?

What are good dishes to try?

Will share info with others who request it, after
Christmas.

Jul 23rd, 1997, 05:04 AM
George Holt

Dishes: Lots of nice things to eat in Turkey. They are big on starters, mezeler (plural of meze). These include vegetables stuffed with rice and or mince (sweet peppers (biber dolmate), tomatoes, courgette etc.), 'dips' including humus (pureed chickpeas and sesame paste), cacik (pron. jajik, yogurt with cucumber and garlic) and tarama (pureed red mullet roe). In turkish cuisine there are said to be a thousand ways to cook aubergine (patlican pron. patlijan) but mostly they are sliced and fried, look out for imam bayildi a rich concoction of baked aubergine stuffed with onion and drenched in olive oil. Along the coast fish is good and invariably fresh, you get a lot of grey mullet and some swordfish. Of course you get many variations of kebab, shish kebab (cubed meat grilled on a skewer (the turkish charachter for sh is s cedilla so it will look like sis on a menu)), doner kebab (minced meat pressed around a pole and grilled vertically) and kofte or meat balls. Most red meat is lamb or beef, you will also see chicken dishes. Salads are good dressed with lemon and oil. There's plenty of fresh fruit in season particularly peaches (pron sheftali), lemons and melons. Pistachio nuts and hazel nuts are also plentiful. Turkey is famous for its desserts and sweets like turkish delight (lokum) which comes in many flavours and the sticky desserts known as helva which are pastries drenched in sugar syrup, baklava is layers of wafer thin pastry (filo called yufka in Turkish) layered with pistachio or hazelnuts and drenched in sugar syrup. Menus can be unintentionally amusing, in an Ankara restaurant I was offered ship's trotters. I visualised a phosphor bronze propeller dressed in a tomato sauce but of course got sheep's trotters (the i in turkish is pronounced like ee). You often see cafes in Turkey which look like canteens with food bubbling away in shallow trays. Don't be put off by these places as long as they look hygenic as the food is usually good and very cheap. Many cafes and restaurants don't serve alcohol but you can get fruit juices and water and of course coke. You get two types of coffee, the thick strong turkish coffee called khave and an expresso style normally referred to as nescafe (but not necessarily the actual product!). The local fire water is ouzo, an aniseed flavoured spirit drank with, without or as well as water depending on the company and local beers and wines are very palatable. Have fun and don't go hungry!

Jul 26th, 1997, 06:55 AM
Leslie

George - You seem very knowledgable about Turkish food! Maybe you can help me... I lived in Germany, and I fell in love with how sheep's cheese was spiced in all the Turkish stores in the Rhine Valley. I *need* the recipe for those herbs and spices, so I can re-create it. I traveled to Turkey, but could find nothing like it...

Jul 27th, 1997, 01:06 AM
janine

You seem to have enough info on food! If you've been using the Fodor internet, I'd suggest you buy a hard copy of the guidebook and use this with regard to accommodation. Pansions are inexpensive and clean - ultimately it's an individual choice and you'll see what you do and don't like. BArgaining is still around - accommodation is rarely bargained these days, but as with anything there is no harm in trying, but don't be too over the top with it - keep all prices reasonable - we've all got to earn a living! If you're heading just up the coast for a change of pace, I'd recommend (not just because I live here!) a visit to central Turkey and Cappadocian region. It is a most amazing and beautiful place to visit. Drop in on our web site and have a look - hotels.wec-net.com.tr/ottoman
we're in Göreme in the centre of Cappadocia.
Enjoy your're travels and it you venture from the coast please look us up at the Ottoman House.
Regards,
Janine

Jul 31st, 1997, 05:01 AM
George Holt

Leslie - I've been travelling around Turkey on and off since 1980 and in that time I must confess to taking a more that healthy interest in the food. I think one of the joys of travelling around the Mediterranean is the lovely food. I can't help you with your cheese though. To me the 'signature' tastes of arabic style food are cumin and cardomum. The Turks also use coriander leaves widely where we'd use parsley. Other than that most of the herbs and spices used should be familiar to a european or american. Still as Janine says, enough of food, I primarily travel to Turkey for the scenery and architecture. I agree that if you can drag yourself away from the blue seas, rugged cliffs and yellow beaches, inland Turkey has a lot to offer. Short excursions from the coast take you to Priene, Aphrodisias, Didyma and Miletus and of course Ephesus is just a short drive from Kusadasi. If Maypole is considering a round trip he(?) may want to consider coming back by the inland route. I would recommend a couple of days in cappadocia at least. This area boasts some of the most exotic scenery anywhere as well as churches hewn from the rock (near Goreme) and nine-storey-deep underground cities (Kaymakli and Derinkuyu). Bursa has some fine mosques and the tombs of the first ottomans and Konya has the green domed mausoleum of the philosopher and poet Mevlane. Thats the trouble with Turkey, there's far too much to see and so little time.

Aug 5th, 1997, 02:09 AM
edward

Hello veterans ! Perhaps you could help us....we will be travelling to Turkey in Oct and plan to extend for another 3/4 days in Istanbul or outskirts of Istanbul. Would you have any suggestions for us honeymooners. budget about US$50. Thanks

Search this Thread