driving to Franschhoek from airport

Dec 13th, 2005, 02:08 AM
Original Poster

driving to Franschhoek from airport

Hi,
Will be arriving in Cape Town airport from Kruger at about 1730 during the first week of Jan.

Do you think this will allow us time to pick up our rental car and drive to Franschhoek before it gets dark, and is this a difficult drive to make from the airport. (our other option is to stay the night in Cape Town and head for Franschhoek the next morning but it would be nice to just get there and wake up there)

thanks,

Muz
Dec 13th, 2005, 06:06 AM

In Jan you'll have about 2 hours of sunlight, which is plenty time to get out to f'hoek.

You can get there through Stellenbosch, it's a little tricky, but a sensational drive. Alternately you could make your onto the N1 and acccess Franschoek from that side, although at that hour you'd probably find the traffic miserable.
Dec 13th, 2005, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks,
I think I'll try the Stellenbosh route, I experience enough miserable traffic here in Dublin!!

Cheers,

Muz
Dec 13th, 2005, 12:49 PM

Enjoy the trip: Cape Town is one of the only places in the world that I know where when you rent a car they give you a map of the winelands, guess drinking and driving in that part of the world is common place?

If you get lost, pull into the next wine estate, drink a few and get fruther directions. I could think of worse places to be lost.
Dec 13th, 2005, 12:57 PM

It's not a terribly difficult drive, but you would do well to get a decent road map before you leave. Sunset will be around 7pm, and the roads are not terribly well lit except in the towns. Globetrotter puts out a good map of the Cape Winelands that shows the roads between the airport and Franschhoek; it's available from online stores.

Dec 13th, 2005, 03:24 PM

Muzaway,

If you arrive at Cape Town international airport at 17h30 you will probably need about 45 minutes to disembark, collect luggage and sign up for your car, that is if you are flying in on a domestic flight. This effectively means that you will leave for Franschhoek @ 18h15. To be exact sunset in the first week of January is at 20h00 thus you will have just over 1.5 hours to travel to Franschhoek and this should be ample time to cover this journey.

The route that you should take would be as follows:

Outside Cape Town airport turn left onto the N2 - Stellenbosch/Somerset West turnoff.

Travel for about 20 Km until you reach the Baden Powell turnoff to your left. When you take this off ramp there is a slight incline in the road. At the top of the road you will approach a T-Junction where you must turn to your left.

After turning left keep travelling in the same direction and don’t take any turnoffs until you eventually reach another T- Section. (20 minute drive away) You will pass Spier (On your right) on this road about 5 km before you reach the T-Section.

At the T- Section turn towards Stellenbosch which means turn right.

Travel straight on to Stellenbosch and beware of speed traps on this part of the road. You will pass Distell (a huge winery cooperation) on your right hand side and thereafter cross a small bridge. Keep travelling straight. Thereafter you will pass the Stellenbosch Station on your left hand side. After the station you will encounter two pedestrian lights. Pass through them and keep travelling straight until your arrive at a road which is a 4 way intersection and pedestrian light.

At this pedestrian light you will see two huge car showrooms on your left and right hand side. Cross over the intersection and keep travelling until you reach the next pedestrian light. which is about 500 yards from the 4 way intersection. At.this pedestrian light you have to turn right. Now you will be in the road that takes you over a mountain pass called Helshoogte. It takes about 20 minutes to cross the pass.

when crossing the pass and you will see wonderful scenery along the way as well as you will pass a little village called Pniel. The road will eventually end at a T–Junction where you will see a sign telling you that you must turn right to Franschhoek which is a 21 km straight road journey from this point onwards.

One point to mention is that if you are flying in on an international flight then you are only going to leave the Cape Town airport at about 18h30. Even if this is the case I still think you should make it to Franschhoek in daylight hours and if you don’t then you will only be in the dark when travelling on the straight road that encompasses the last 21 km to Franschhoek.

With the above all said my advice would be that you should definitely make it to Franschhoek timeously.

I hope that you are going to have a cellphone with you while you are driving. I recommend this VERY HIGHLY for safety as well as information reasons. If you are going to have a cellphone with you and possibly get lost simply call me on 083 604 3917 and I will talk you through where you should be travelling so as to make it to your destination.

A last but very important point is to please remember that you cannot purchase petrol/gas at garages on a credit card. All dealings have to be in hard cash.

Hope the above helps you find your way.

I also hope that you have a wonderful stay in the Western Cape.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa

Dec 14th, 2005, 01:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everybody for your great responses, and thanks Selwyn for your directions, I feel a lot more comfortable now.

We'll have our Irish cell phones which are tri-band so I'm pretty sure they'll work in SA.

Getting excited now that we are doing our last minute planning.

BTW, we have booked Bon Vivant as well for our first meal in Franschhoek!

Search this Thread