Driving times along the garden route

Dec 19th, 2003, 01:08 AM
Peep

Driving times along the garden route

Hello! I'm trying to put together our itinerary for 2 weeks in Capetown and the garden route for either the last 2 weeks in Feb or the 1st 2 weeks in March. I'm having a hard time figuring out how long the drives are between places we'd like to go.

Stellenbosch - Knysna
Knysna to Addo Park
Addo - Capetown

I've been thinking that Addo was too far out of the way and would require too much driving, but maybe I'm wrong? We'd love to see some critters! We're going to start and end in Capetown.

Thanks for any information you can give me!

Dec 19th, 2003, 02:55 AM
Peep

Does anyone care to share opinions about Addo (in Feb-Mar)? Thanks!

Dec 20th, 2003, 03:16 PM

Peep,

In response to your question you can work on the following times to travel the below individual distances

Stellenbosch - Knysna
---------------------
4.5 hours
6.5 hours with stops to view places along the way

Knysna to Addo
--------------
4 hours

Addo to Cape Town
-----------------
9 hours

I would definitely break the Addo to Cape Town journey by staying over in Swellendam (I recommend Braeside Lodge) http://www.braeside.co.za/index2.html that is if you are travelling on the N2. If you are travelling on the NI I would stay in Calitzdorp (Port Wine Lodge) http://www.portwine.net/index.html

As far as Addo is concerned I would recommend it as a park to visit in February and March. It will be hot to warm weather and with that said an EARLY morning start on the game farm is essential as the animals tend to run for bush shade by the time midday comes along which makes spotting rather difficult. Thus I would recommend that you travel to Addo from Knysna the day before your safari and stay over in Addo or Port Elizabeth so that you can make an early start on your safari day. The newest function at the park is that you can employ what is called a "pick up guide" at the Addo gate. These young guides are part of a great upliftment programme and are trained to show you all on Addo while you hire them to travel in your car with you. They are wonderful people and will enhance your journey in the park amazingly. Note is is best to prebook this ranger/guide with the Addo Park authorities. The Addo Park is growing in stature by the day as there now are many new animals on the park as the fences on the park come down to link to adjoining farms. I still believe that a morning drive on Addo followed by an afternoon/evening drive on Schotia Game Reserve http://www.schotia.com/ doing their "tooth and claw trail" is a very fulfilling safari experience overall.

Hope this helps.

Selwyn Davidowitz
Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa

Search this Thread