Driving time from Istanbul to Ankara

Aug 11th, 1999, 08:21 PM
Wallace

Driving time from Istanbul to Ankara

Can anyone tell me the driving times from Istanbul to Ankara? I am planning on doing this in September, But I need this info for planning the first leg of the trip.
thanks

Aug 12th, 1999, 12:21 AM
George Holt

Of course it depends to some extent how you drive, cautiously is advisable in Turkey, but it will take up most of your day. Coaches, tour and intercity, generally take 6 or 7 hours or more with a break for lunch. The road is quite good by Turkish standards but understandably busy linking two of Turkey's major cities. In the rush hour it can take a long time just to get out of Istanbul.

It takes about half an hour in the air to fly from Istanbul to Ankara.

When in Ankara don't miss the archaelogical museum with its hitite collection and the old area around Samanpazari.

Aug 20th, 1999, 05:47 AM
Jonathan

If you leave in the morning most of the traffic will be coming into Istanbul, but the evening rush hour will be much more crowded. Use the toll road, its very cheap and far quicker. I've known people to do the trip in 5 hours, but I wouldn't advise it.
The worst section of the journey is Bolu dag where there is no motorway. This is however the best place to break the journey.

Search this Thread