Driving in South Africa

Feb 1st, 2013, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Driving in South Africa

Hi there,

We're going to be flying to Durban in July to stay at the Tembe Elephant Park and we're trying to decide the best way to get to the park from the Airport. We've looked at organising a transfer however that it is double the price of hiring a car for a week, so we're seriously considering that now.

Has anybody done this drive and can advise what it was like? Did they feel safe for the entire drive? I seem to hear mixed reports about driving in SA, so would like to know if people would strongly recommend against driving ourselves or not?

Thanks

Chris
Feb 1st, 2013, 07:38 AM

Durban to Tembe the only place you are going?

What is the cost differential between transfer and self-drive? If less than say $150, I'd do whichever is easiest/most comfortable for you. If you can afford to fly to Africa (from USA?) and stay at a nice camp, another $150 how significant is it overall?

regards - tom
Feb 1st, 2013, 03:11 PM

I've done the drive. Safe and easy. You realize that this camp is not very classy and the food is ghastly. I was there about 8 years so maybe it has changed but I doubt it. Do yourself a favor and go somewhere else. I left a day early. I only went there be caused I lived in Durban and it was cheap

Search this Thread