Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

How long for Egypt tour companies to reply??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2005, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After wading through all the great Egypt tour reports, I emailed two of the best-sounding Egyptian companies (can't remember which two), carefully filling out their form with info requested...dates, sights I wanted to see, etc. Does it take more than 3 business days to receive a reply??
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 09:53 PM

It could be because it's the end of Ramadan. It's a holiday & a big celebration.
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 03:22 PM

Funny thing now that you mention it. I sent a request in to 2 companies via the internet end of June early July for a mid-August trip. To date I have not received a reply. That's why I decided to hire a private guide!
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 05:54 PM

Dear Kathygo:

If it helps, my wife and I are going to egypt for a 17 days vacation on december 22. All of our trip planning and arrangements, we did it with STI Travel over the internet. We sent an e-mail and they answered the next day, arranged a custom made trip as per our request and even paid with credit card over a fax machine. We had also independently confirmed every hotel, cruise and tour and everything has been reserved and paid for. So give them a try, they have come through so far.
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies!
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 06:58 AM

lcdocv,

We are leaving for Egypt on Dec. 26th We have also booked our trip with STI-Travel. They are very responsive to e-mail. I have also called them and talked to them about our itineray. Very helpful, friendly and pleasant travel agency to work with. They also did a cutom trip for us.

Have your received your travel docs yet? They told me that the reservations don't actually go in our name unitl about a week before we arrive. Sound like yours are already in your name.Think I will check with the hotels. What ship are you going on for the Nile Cruise? I was told our ship is the Mojito Nile Cruise.
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 05:56 PM

Dear Anitas:

The way my wife and I verified our reservations was via e-mail dirctly to the hotels.

As to the Cruise, we booked the Moon Goddess. We did a lot of research and found out that there are only to ships with private balconies, and the newest was the moon goddess. We also checked the Mojito, its supposed to be brand new and super luxury, but we wanted the private balconie.

What hotels are you staying and what your itinerary looks like.
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 05:59 PM

Forgot part of the answer. We are supposed to get out paperwork in 2 weeks.

Correction: There are only two cruises with balcony , The Philae Oberoi and the Moon Goddess.
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 06:34 PM

lcdocv,

We are going for a total of 16 nights. 7 nights in Cario, 3 nights on the cruise, 1 night in Aswan, 4 nights in Sharm and then back to Cario for the last night.
We are staying at the Grand Hyatt in Cario, and either the Hyatt Regency or the Ritz in Sharm. Also, going to Abu Simbel and taking balloon ride in Luxor.

Trying to figure out what to do for New Year's. We will be in Cario.

What is your itinary like? Where will you be on New Year's?
Old Nov 12th, 2005, 06:32 AM

Anitas:

We are spending 1 night at he Old Cataract in aswan, flight to abu simbel, then 5 nights on the cruise starting from aswan to luxor, then we stay extra 3 days in luxor, then to Cairo for 7 days.

In luxor we are staying at the Sonesta St. George and in Cairo we are staying at the Oberoi Mena House.

We want to do the Hot Air Ballon ride in luxor, but have to booked it while at luxor. The travel agencoies sell it for an average of $200.00 to $250.00 per person and I keep reading that it can be booked in luxor for $90.00 per person, quite a diference.

As to New Years eve celebration, most hotels in Egypt do a celebration and the price is imposed on your stay, even if you do not want to go. So we are attending the new years bash at the mena hose which is mandatory, in other words, we are being charge a $160.00 per person for that night for the party, so I guess we are going.

Old Nov 12th, 2005, 08:12 AM

Icdocy:

FYI: Just returned frm 2-wk trip in Egypt and must say you will LOVE the Old Cataract! (We stayed 2 night also -cdn't afford more!)

Mensa House (new section) got to be home for us and was also wonderful. They have a great cheese and mushroom pizza in the restaurant where you have buffet breakfast.

Took hot air balloon ride ($140 thru GAT tours in Cairo)in Luxor that was wonderful. Best part was the landing!

If you want/need more info, I'll be happy to oblige.

Kathygo, I entered my tour desires on the official Egypt website and got close to 100 replies overnight!
Old Nov 12th, 2005, 08:40 AM

morse58:

Thanks for the feedback. While at the MenaHouse, we are staying at the Palace Wing Piramyd View. We have read complaints with the new wing and we have been told that recently, the menahouse has started or its going to start anyday now a restoration of the new wing of about 150 rooms. They just let us know yesterday, i guess in order to protect themselves from complaints from the noise. I've e-mail the MenaHouse concerning the noise level of the restoration.

As to the Old Cataract, wera are only staying one night, just to avoid having to take the 5:30 am flight from cairo, so we are going straight from Jfk. Imean the same day we arrve at cairo we continue to aswan, so we can go to abusimbel.

Did you try the indian restaurant at the Mena House, its supposed to be terrific.
Old Nov 12th, 2005, 03:45 PM

lcdocv

According to STI-Travel the Grand Hyatt does not have a compulsary New Year's eve dinner. But I think if we do the dinner/cruise the cost is around 140.00 per person.

We booked the hot air balloon through STI so I don't know what we ending up paying. I did't have them itemize our bill. All I wanted to know what the end price was for the activities we wanted to do.

Old Nov 12th, 2005, 05:13 PM

Anitas:

I am not an expert,as a matter of fact this is my first trip to egypt, but i've done a lot of research and most of what i've seen on the net is that the river boats in cairo are not that great. Suggest you do some research on this and make your own mind.

So far everything i've read suggest that new years is better spent in some hotel activity. Hey, but what do I know, i am a new tourist in Egypt.

As to the ballon ride, Sti tried to sell it to us at $200.00 per person.

Did you get charged $160.00 per airport tax. I did and I havent found anywhere this such called airport tax.
Old Nov 12th, 2005, 06:37 PM

lcdocv,

Not sure about the airport tax. We are flying on FF miles. So the only air we are doing is with Egypt Air to Abu and to Sharm. The dinner/cruise is on the Grand Hyatt's private boat. I think it should be OK. I might check with the Four Seasons Hotel. I think they are right across the street from the Hyatt.

I don't know much either. I was in Cario about 20 years ago. I'm sure things have changed since then. At that time we were only there for 4 days.