Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Driving from tel aviv to Elat to Dead sea to jerusalem

Driving from tel aviv to Elat to Dead sea to jerusalem

Aug 10th, 2013, 04:58 AM
Original Poster

Driving from tel aviv to Elat to Dead sea to jerusalem

Hi,
I am planning on renting a car and driving from Tel Aviv to Elat stay 1 night then drive to the dead sea and the to jerusalem... will this be fairly easy or are there any things i should be aware of . Im planning this trip sept 5th till 10th which i understand is new year. Any information would be great
Aug 10th, 2013, 07:20 AM

Driving to Eilat for one night is not a sensible idea. It takes about 5 hours to drive there, ie the whole day if you stop along the way. Similarly you have to leave Eilat early in the morning if you want to visit the Dead Sea and Massada and reach Jerusalem the same day. So it is a lot of driving just to sleep overnight in Eilat.

Rosh Hashana (New Years) starts the evening of the 4th and lasts two days, running into the Sabbath. So there will be no public transport on Sept 5,6,7 and some tourists sites will be closed; you have to check web sites for holiday and Saturday hours. All national parks will be open and it will be business as usual in the Old City in Jerusalem (other than the Jewish Quarter). My recommendation is to choose different days, but note that there are other holidays in September.
Aug 11th, 2013, 09:45 AM

Eilat hotels will probably be very expensive those nights too. Like mbgg said, try different days or with such a short time in Israel spend your days in Jerusalem and take advantage of the excellent one day tours you can make from to Masada, Dead Sea or anywhere else in the north.
Aug 12th, 2013, 08:56 AM

If you're still interested in Eilat, and willing to put it at the end of the your trip instead of at the beginning, it may make sense to fly there and back. A quick check just now turned up tickets from Ben Gurion to Eilat for just over 200 sh'kalim/person for September 9-10.
(You can't fly there the first day because it's Rosh HaShanah, the Jewish New Year)

Is this your first trip in Israel?
Aug 18th, 2013, 12:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply, we are doing a petra tour from Elat so will be using that as a base. thanks
Aug 18th, 2013, 10:59 PM

So you will be staying in Eilat at least 2 nights ? I suggest that you post your entire itinerary so that we can post relevant information and advice!
Aug 22nd, 2013, 07:56 PM

It's a long trip for one day. We went to Eilat and stayed at the Dan. It's a great hotel with very good facilities. It's very expensive over the Holidays. The kitchen is closed for hot food but cold breakfast is available. Prepared food is available during the day and a hot meal is available after the holiday is over. The hotel was very crowded as many families go there for the holidays. Arab owned stands are open along the beach area, though there was only a couple. We got there later than expected as our ental car had a problem with the code. Enjoy your trip.

Search this Thread