Driving from Mombasa to Dar?

Jan 17th, 2006, 03:42 AM
Original Poster

Driving from Mombasa to Dar?

Has anyone driven from Mombasa to Dar Es Salam? My parents and I are planning a tripp to Kenya and Tanzania (we lived in Nairobi for 4 years in the 70's and are finally going back). We will probably do quite a bit of flying but wish to drive down the coastline of Tanzania with at least one overnight.

Not finished planning but for now it looks like Nairobi (2 nts), Masai mara (maybe combined with Serengeti if possible?), Tsavo West, Mombasa, Lamu, Zanzibar...
Jan 17th, 2006, 11:05 AM

If you are asking can you make it to Dar in 2 days, overnite at an interesting and decent place along the way, yes. Easily.

I think the distance is about 350 miles or a little less. After Tanga, if you get on the main hwy, it will go quickly. Can't say what the condition of the road North of Tanga to the Border is. It was pretty several years ago, but I was told there was some improvements done since.
Jan 17th, 2006, 10:29 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the response.

Actually I'm not sure what I was asking about I'll try to be more precise.

I think I'm just asking for ideas in this pre-planning periode. We don't even know how many days the trip will last but at least 21 days. With regards to the drive from Mombasa to Dar I was wondering about the roadconditions, safety, bordercrossing and most important: is it an interesting trip and does anyone of you have any tips about where to stop, any detours to interesting places and so forth?

I must say I have read a lot of interesting threads here and new ideas for the trip has come up. Most likely I will be back with more questions when the planning has evolved a bit. In the mean time I would really appreciate any coments on the destinations I have mentioned or if you have any "must see" places.

Search this Thread