Search

First time traveller!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2001, 05:20 AM
Mary

First time traveller!

Help! I'm spending a week in Cairo in August. (Just great for me, the heat intollerant one!) Can you enter the Great Pyramids and look around? What about mosquitos and the West Nile Virus? I heard that beggars are everywhere and can be a problem? Can you take camel rides anywhere there? And how about those falucca rides on the nile? Any suggestions? thanx in advance.

Old Apr 10th, 2001, 03:56 AM
Mildred

Mary, <BR>Egypt is a great destination. Do be aware that the culture and way of life will seem chaotic and unorganized to us travellers, but that is part of the magic of Egypt. Camel rides are available at the Pyramids of Giza. Remember to always bargain for everything, including camel rides. You should bargain for about 40% of the requested price. I visited this country a few years ago and since then the pyramids have undergone some restauration. Not sure if they are open to the public at this time. As for beggars, this is a third world country were you will find poverty. They will ask you for a basheesh, which is a token (1 Egyptian Dollar). I suggest you ignore them, or otherwise you will have many kids and adults asking for basheesh. Do drink lots of water to avoid dehydration. Nevertheless, this is a great country, full of culture. It will be an unforgetable and exciting experience. Good Luck!

Old Apr 10th, 2001, 05:15 AM
Mary

Mildred&lt; A million thanks for the help. I am so excited about the trip but I have so few friends that have travelled there. Your comments were much appreciated. Mary

Old Apr 13th, 2001, 06:43 AM
gail

We are leaving for 10 day tour of Egypt in 8 hours. If you email me in 2 weeks with specific questions, I will try to answer. Others have written and made available a complete travelogue about their trip - I am not sure I am that ambitious!

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 06:14 AM
Patricia

I was in Egypt in November. Yes, you can go in the Great Pyramid. As for camel rides, I was advised not to take a camel ride right at the pyramids. Outside the pyramid area there were camels that we rode. In the pyramid area they may try to take you out a mile or so and then make you pay more to get back. Always set a price before taking a camel, taxi, buggy ride, or anything. And make sure it is a firm price. We saw few beggars. What you will encounter is people trying to sell you things--not beggars. Just tell them "La" (no), if you are not interested or "La Shukrawn" (no thanks). (I know I didn't spell that right, but that's how it's pronounced.) We were told the West Nile Virus is only a threat in the delta area, up at the mouth of the river on the Mediterranean. In November we had no mosquitoes to speak of. Why August? November was high 70s to middle 80s. Perfect weather.