Driving between parks in SA

Feb 20th, 2002, 10:47 AM
xxxx

Driving between parks in SA

I am planning to visit SA in the summer and was wondering if anybody had any experience driving a rental car between parks. The expense to fly or get private drivers is too much for us and I have no fear about driving except for the tedium. I was thinking specifically of Madikwe, Sabie Sands and Itala in Zululand. Does it really take five hours to drive to Sabie? Thanks for any help!

Feb 21st, 2002, 11:51 PM
Peter

Unfortunately the main Park areas in SA, those in KwaZulu Natal (Hluhluwe)and Mpumulanga (Kruger) are about 5 hours apart, but it's a beautiful drive.
One of our favourites is the Pilanesberg National Park which also has the Big 5 and is much closer to Johannesburg. If you are doing a "Park" holiday, I would recommend those 3 as "musts". Take a look at our visits:
http://wind.freehosting.com/outabout
Enjoy your holiday!
Peter

Feb 25th, 2002, 05:35 AM
local

If you think these drives are boring, you should tackle the Johannesburg to Cape Town or Cape Town to Namibia drives - now you are talking far and tiring.

Unfortunately you are right, these are long hauls but there is much to see on the way, eg:

On the way to Madikwe, you can drop in at Sun City and the Pilanesberg game park. On the trot, the drive from Jhburg to Madikwe is apparently about 3 hours' drive.

One the way to Sabie, you can stop at the Sudwala caves. That whole area around Sabie is very scenic. The road is a highway and, with the exception of the toll gates (two, I think), it is an easy (but long) drive.

You do not say where you are starting but the road between Sabie and Ithala runs through some very scenic areas (next to Swaziland). Be careful for mist early in the morning. There are quite a number of Anglo-Boer war battlefields and memorials on the way, but closer to Ithala. Ithala unfortunately does not have lion but it is a magnificant camp.

Nothing that a good road map cannot handle. Just two last things: we drive on the left hand side of the road and don't forget to ask your GP about malaria.

Enjoy your trip!!

Search this Thread