Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   driver in Capetown (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/driver-in-capetown-811691/)

erly Oct 25th, 2009 05:46 AM

driver in Capetown

We are returning to Capetown.
Last year we had a driver through our tour Company.
This year we are on our own.
We won't drive on the wrong side of the road, so that leaves out a Car hire
.Is there a reasonable reliable Cab company or driver to take us to our day trip locations, and pick us up later in the day?
Thanks in advance.

atravelynn Oct 25th, 2009 06:42 AM

Rikki Taxis exists for that purpose. There is a Rikki in Cape Town and one in Simons Town but they are different Rikkis, just so you know. Rikkis tend to be tiny vehicles that in some cases were a bit beat up. The drivers were great and by the end of my 9 day stay, I was buddies with several of them.

In addition to Rikki's for the short excursions, I used Wayne of Take2Tours. What a delightful chap and his knowledge would enhance any of your daytrips. Just Google Take2Tours.

My comments on Wayne begin in the second post of this report.

http://www.fodors.com/community/afri...-n-luangwa.cfm

Good luck

dutyfree Oct 25th, 2009 10:57 PM

The airline that I work for loves a certain tour company in Cape Town.We had multi day layovers down there and this guide was always the first one you called after you found out that you had a Cape Town layover.
The owner is a former lawyer from England in his 50's and is fabulous. He is so interesting and really knows South Africa and Cape Town having lived there for many years. His name is Tim and his company is called Friends of Dorothy. The company is listed in Frommers and many other guidebooks. Tim has been selected to be one of the select guides that the new Atlantis hotel uses in Cape Town.
He has two vehicles that will hold up to 7 persons each and picks up from any hotel in the area. He has 5 basic tours that go out to the Cape,winelands,etc. but can take you wherever you would like to go.
If you go on his website you will notice that the site "caters" to a gay visitor-the tour company takes ANYONE and is not what you think so don't prejudge by the website.His rates are very reasonable and his knowledge of South Africa with various antedotes is amazing. You will love touring with him!

stormygirl Oct 27th, 2009 10:33 AM

While in Cape Town we used Ernest Cab, I don't have the number but you could look them up while there. They were fantastic, picking us up within 20 mins on new years eve, taking us up to Table Mountain and getting us in a vip queue at the top, acting as private car, etc. Highly recommended.

Selwyn_Davidowitz Oct 27th, 2009 01:17 PM

I want to back up what Dutyfree has written about Tim Freeman. He is in my opinion a fabulous guide and as a fellow Cape Town tourguide I would recommend him very highly. For vsistors to Cape Town travelling with Tim will be a totally different experience to travelling with your average Cape Town tourguide as he has a huge amount of knowledge re Cape Town and a wonderful, friendly, personality which he uses skillfully and to the best of his ability. This in turn makes all on board feel at home, comfortable and happy while they enjoy the wonders of of our great city. All in all Tim simply is top class.

Highly recommended.

Selwyn Davidowitz
Very proudly part of the wonderful ((r)) nation of South Africa

atravelynn Oct 27th, 2009 05:02 PM

Selwyn is a popular choice among many fodors posters as well.

dutyfree Oct 27th, 2009 06:25 PM

Thanks Selwyn for your wonderful second opinion about Tim Freeman.

dutyfree Oct 27th, 2009 06:28 PM

Submitted before I was finished-sorry. Just wanted to say that I am sorry that I never had the chance to tour with you Selwyn but from all of your posts feel that I will always have a friend in Cape Town whenever I can get back.Unfortunately, I only fly Johannesburg now...