Drive or Bus in Israel

Jul 4th, 1998, 05:31 AM
Minette

Drive or Bus in Israel

My husband and I are going to Israel for 10 nights in October. We are debating whether or not to hire a car to tour Israel in or rely on buses to get us between cities. Has any one got some advice?
Thanks.

Jul 4th, 1998, 07:21 AM
Carol

Hi Minette,
My husband and I hired a car and drove all over Israel which was really great because we could get to all the off the beaten track places. We found it very hair raising because we aren't used to driving on the right side of the road and Israeli drivers aren't very patient and hoot continuously at each other. I would say it is best not to drive in the bigger cities at rush hour, otherwise, it is fine. I also did a trip to Israel using only public transport and found it to be wonderful- lots of busses going just about everywhere. On my next trip I intend to use the buses and only hire a car on odd days if I want to go somewhere special. Remember that the busses stop running at midday on fridays because of the sabath. There are arab mini buses that run some of the bus routes on the jewish sabath, but not too frequently. I hope you have a wonderful trip, Israel is GREAT!

Jul 4th, 1998, 07:22 AM
Carol

Hi Minette,
My husband and I hired a car and drove all over Israel which was really great because we could get to all the off the beaten track places. We found it very hair raising because we aren't used to driving on the right side of the road and Israeli drivers aren't very patient and hoot continuously at each other. I would say it is best not to drive in the bigger cities at rush hour, otherwise, it is fine. I also did a trip to Israel using only public transport and found it to be wonderful- lots of busses going just about everywhere. On my next trip I intend to use the buses and only hire a car on odd days if I want to go somewhere special. Remember that the busses stop running at midday on fridays because of the sabath. There are arab mini buses that run some of the bus routes on the jewish sabath, but not too frequently. I hope you have a wonderful trip, Israel is GREAT!
Carol.

Jul 7th, 1998, 07:34 AM
Susan A.

Hi there,

I had a wonderful time in Isreal. I used a private car. My Mother use some tour buses and she was not very happy with them. There are some very good bus service in Israel. Graylines Tours is saposed to be the best. I used a Arab taxi service called Panarama Taxi Service. If you are looking at the Mt. of Olives from Jerusalem wall there is two roads. One that runs next to the Jerusalem wall (not that one) and one that runs in front of the Mt. of Olives and it goes up to your right. This road will take you to the Panarama Taxi Stand. It is about 2 - 3 minute drive or a 20 minutes because it is uphill. Enjoy your time there and be safe.

Search this Thread