Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Drive from Chobe to Kasane? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/drive-from-chobe-to-kasane-482490/)

malnyc Oct 25th, 2004 07:32 PM

Drive from Chobe to Kasane?

Hello all!

Planning an Aug 05 itin and wondering if any of you have driven to Kasane from Chobe (specifically, we will be at Kings Pool).

We are trying to transfer back to JNB for our return flight home but have been told the Maun to JNB flight is not operating the day we need to travel, so Wilderness Safaris will have to drive us from the camp to Kasane for a JNB flight .

My biggest concerns are safety of the road trip and ease of crossing the border.

Also, do you think it's possible they will reinstate the Maun-JNB flight by Aug '05??

Please let me know what you think!
thanks so much!

sandi Oct 26th, 2004 04:37 AM

Of course it is possible flight schedules might change between now and then, but the road from where Chobe Park begins to Kasana is blacktop and in good repair, so easy to drive. What the road is from Kings Pool to the Chobe Entrance, I cannot tell.

However, what I don't understand is your question re border procedures. Kasane is still in Botswana so no border crossing here. If you fly from Kasane to JNB, your procedure will be similar to that when arriving in JNB when you originally arrived - minimal.

Unless Wilderness means to transfer you from Kasana to Victoria Falls and from VFA to fly to JNB. If that is the case, the road from Kasane to the border is also blacktop and the procedure between Botswana to Zimbabwe is easy - get passport stamped leaving Botswana, change vehicles on other side, have passport stamped then drive to VFA. From the border into VFA is about 1.20 hrs to airport on good roads. Hope this helps.

one2travel Oct 26th, 2004 10:14 AM

I've done this (not from King's Pool) but from Kubu Lodge right outside Chobe.

No problem. There is regular shuttle back and forth between Kasane and Vic Falls so it's a pretty easy crossing.

Just a quick word of advice: be pleasant to the border agent and do not rush him. I watched one guy (who obviously was nervous about missing his VF flight) try to hurry the border agent along. Not a good idea. Treat them deferentially and you get a lot farther with them.

malnyc Oct 26th, 2004 01:28 PM

I think you're right Sandi. I will be transferring by car to the Vic Falls airport (I thought Kasane was the name of the Vic Falls airport) for my flight back to JNB.

So besides being careful rushing the border agents (thanks, one2travel!), everything is safe on this road? (i.e. frequently travelled by tourists and the like)?

sandi Oct 27th, 2004 04:42 AM

Yes the road is safe and only traveled by those who can afford a car (tour outfitters and tour outfitters with tourists inside) - locals cannot.

Remember there is a USD$20* departure fee due before boarding flight to JNB, and the plane will probably be sprayed with insecticide (highly perfumed so it doesn't smell like chemicals) so nothing unwanted flies back with you into SA.
*unless it has increased

Enjoy your holiday.