Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Dress for Safari (Kruger) & Cape Town In Late August/Early September

Dress for Safari (Kruger) & Cape Town In Late August/Early September

Feb 9th, 2002, 05:55 AM
Mary

Dress for Safari (Kruger) & Cape Town In Late August/Early September

We are going to Singita (Kruger) and Cape Town in Late August & Early September. Can anyone tell me about how they dress on safari and what the weather may be like during that time? Also, any recommendations on what to do in Cape Town? Thanks!

Feb 9th, 2002, 08:32 AM
Lisa

Safari is casual. You will probalby find warm days (in 70's and 80's and cold nights (especially in an open landrover).Definitely take long pants and warm clothes for the safari drives.(hats too) During the day it will be warm so summerweight clothes and a bathing suit are a good idea, although the water in the swimming pools will be unheated. If Singita accommodation has private plunge pools, then the water should be warm enopugh for you to dip in.

Cape Town could be rainy at that time so take a light jacket/windbreaker.You will need slighltly dressier stuff for evenings in cape town then you will need on safari. Try to pack light as I think you may only be allowed 1 suitcase on domestic flights especially to Skukuza.

For activities and drives in Cape Town, there are lots of previous posts with good recommendations. See if the search engine is operating and type in Cape Town. If you have no luck, then let me know.

We will also be in those vicinities at that time ( or maybe a couple of weeks earlier) taking a group of friends to SA.

Feb 15th, 2002, 05:01 PM
Mary

Lisa,
Thanks for the response! By dressier do you mean business casual (Khaki's & polo) or more than business casual? Thanks for the tips! We are going in the end of August - are you going during that time?

Feb 16th, 2002, 04:32 AM
Lisa

Khakis and polos are fine. Many casual restaurants you'll be fine in jeans and t-shirts. I wear what you would wear to a restaurant here on a Saturday night. If you plan on going ot the Mt. Nelson or comparable for dinner then that is jackets and ties.
We will be there for most of August, returning on 24th August or thereabouts. See my thread entitled "Lisa's (private)group tour - it is going to happen"

Search this Thread