Dress for Dinner

Jun 22nd, 2004, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Dress for Dinner

We have a bit of a dilemma with the weight restrictions for our upcoming trip and are considering giving up the extra pair of nicer pants and shirts we were going to take to change into for dinner. This leaves us with two pairs each pants/shirts. I would be interested in your experiences - particularly at Xigera, Chitabe Trails and Duma Tau. Do people tend to change into nicer attire for dinner or just change into clean bush clothes? What about at lodges at Victoria Falls - we'll actually be staying at Sussi & Chuma in Livingstone. And will the two sets of clothes be sufficient for both day and night wear, knowing that laundry service is available at camps and lodges? Thanks in advance for your input/thoughts.
Jun 22nd, 2004, 04:47 PM

I just returned from DumaTau and was at Chitabe Trails a couple years ago. Don't worry about dressing for dinner. Clean clothes--and a fleece!--are all you will need. Can't imagine that Xigera will be any different (and even at Mombo, there is no need to have dinner clothes. No one dressed...and the only thing people seem to look at are your photos and camera equipment--not your clothes. ) Especially note the comment on the fleece--it was cold at night, so you will be wearing warm fleeces/outer jackets over your dinner clothing, for sure. Make sure you plan for WARM-- I can't tell you how many folks ignored this advice and ended up buying fleeces in the camp shops. (On the other hand, if you want a fleece that says Xigera, you can plan on picking it up there!) If women want to "dress" for dinner, just add a nice scarf (it gets bonus points for keeping you warm, too!) or a beaded necklace or earrings you found on your travels.

Some people do tend to dress a bit more in Vic Falls, but you don't have to--many people stayed safari casual too. But women in particular seemed to get more dressed in Vic Falls. If you are luggage constrained on the Botswana portion of your flights, you can plan on buying an evening outfit at Vic Falls--there were some nice shops (on the Zim side, and I imagine in Livingstone too) and prices seemed quite cheap.

Two sets of clothing in addition to what you are wearing should be fine. The camps return laundry late the same day. But if you take thick athletic socks, they will still be damp and need an extra day to dry, so take a couple extra pairs of those.

Because it was so cold on morning drives, I'd think about adding an extra thermal (eg polypro or wool) shirt that can be worn inside or out. That way it gives you an extra shirt for cooler weather. (Sometimes it was so cold at night I wore mine to bed too. This is more important that dinner clothes when you are weight limited!)

Remember, the lodges provide shampoo and body lotion, so no need to pack those.They also also provide insect repellent (typically Peaceful Sleep spray, which is a good one). Underpacking is good-- if you really need an extra shirt, you can buy a souvenir in the camp shop or in Vic Falls/ Livingstone.

Have a great trip!
Jun 22nd, 2004, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

tashak - thanks so much for your prompt response. We leave in a couple of days and are anxious to get started on our adventure.

Believe me, we are well prepared for cold weather - especially me, as I get easily chilled.

P.S. I've enjoyed reading about your recent trip and look forward to the conclusion.
Jun 26th, 2004, 07:50 PM

We just returned from Chitabe, Duma Tau. We did not NEED dressy clothes at night. A few people wore a nicer shirt, but we stayed in our regular safari wear.
We did not dress for dinner in VFalls. Lots of casual places to dine. You can go places to dress up, but not required.
We did stay within the 26pound limit - and the biggest lesson we learned - is take even fewer clothes than recommended. We tended to wear an oufit 2 days before laundering. We did take more socks, and ... so we did not have to wash very often.

Search this Thread