Dress code for dinner at luxury lodges?

Apr 24th, 2002, 05:58 AM
Daniela

Dress code for dinner at luxury lodges?

My friend and I are booked on a safari (Aberdare, Amboseli & Masai Mara)end of July 2002. We will be staying at luxury lodges/tented camps.

I have a pretty good idea, from reading the various postings on this site, of what to wear during the day.

My question is: do you have to change into dressier clothes for dinner, or can I keep a clean pair of kaki pants and assorted top/sweater? Same question for the shoes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as we are trying to pack as light as possible.

Apr 24th, 2002, 07:41 AM
Patricia

My friend and I just returned from Lake Nakuru Lodge and Mara Sopa (the latter is in Masai Mara). We didn't dress any differently for dinner than any other time. Didn't notice much dressing up--just a small touch here and there. Don't know how these compare to where you're staying. I would think tented camps would be pretty casual. But, then, we didn't stay at those--not that we wouldn't have loved to! Just wasn't offered on the trip we took. And I made it the whole way (including Cape Town) in Reeboks and low-rise Keds tennis shoes. No boots were necessary.

Apr 24th, 2002, 07:48 AM
Lisa

On our first safari to a luxury camp, I tooke dressier clothes. They all stayed in the closet. It is pretty dusty in the boma (where we ate at night) and dark and was sometimes even cold enough ( we were further south than you will be) that we wrapped blankets around ourselves. Sometimes I felt it was not even necessary to change after our night drive. I found it very casual and in fact that is what most of the camps recommend. IMHO I think you will be fine with what you have suggested. If there is anyone who has found differently, please feel free to contradict me.

Search this Thread