Dreaming of Africa

Oct 16th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

Dreaming of Africa

If you had a month to travel and no budgetary limits where in Africa would you go and what would you want to see?
Oct 16th, 2009, 07:48 PM

Okavango Delta, Sabi Sands (near Kruger), Vic Falls, Cape Town, the ruins of Great Zimbabwe, Gabon for the surfing hippos and lowland gorillas, mountain gorillas in Rwanda or Uganda, Rocktail Bay turtle nesting. I could go on and on...
Oct 17th, 2009, 09:07 AM

I would go in September and start with three days on the Masai Mara during the great migrations. From there, you could spend three day at Sumburu. After Sumbura, you can catch the 7pm flight to Johannesburg.

Spend one brief night in Johannesburg then fly to Harare the next morning. From Hararer, go to Mana Pools national park in Zimbabwe (3 nt) then Hwange National Park in Zimbabwe (3 nt). From there, go to Victoria Falls for a quick overnight and view of the Falls. Head into the Chobe/Linyanti for three days then six more days in the Okavango Delta of Botswana.

From Botswana, fly to Cape Town for your last few days. Visit the wine country in the spring time and see the Southern Right Whales calving from the shores of Hermanus. Perhaps head into the Cedarburg Mountains and see the flowers in bloom at Bushman's Kloof before flying home.

Craig Beal
Oct 17th, 2009, 11:03 AM

May I ask. Joshua, if this is a hypothetical question or if you are hoping to put into practice some of the responses?

I'd include the Maasai Mara in Kenya for the migration and a great variety of wildlife, Duba Plains in Botswana for the lion-buffalo activity, Kafue in Zambia for unique antelope species and tree climbing lions, either the Lower Zambezi or Mana Pools for canoeing, and Cape Town for the breaching Great White Sharks in False Bay, though this past early Sept they were not as active as usual, and maybe a couple of days at Phinda in South Africa because it is a cheetah sanctuary and cheetah are my favorite animals and Phinda just told me that Sept was one of their less expensive times.

Maybe not in that order and all these might be too much moving around to execute it well.

If you're seeking input, we'd have to know your interests. I don't have gorillas on the list since I've visited them several times but a 1st time fairly fit visitor should include them.
Oct 17th, 2009, 11:05 AM

Mine was Sept time frame also.
Oct 17th, 2009, 11:38 AM

phinda rates for september are now split. sep 16-30 is the least expensive time of the year and stay4pay3 applies for 2010 with 50% deposit. sep 1-15 is more expensive than 16-30.

we saw 31 rhino (30 white 1 black) and five cheetah (all with cubs) on one day at phinda in may 2009.

craig beal
Oct 17th, 2009, 01:23 PM

>>spend three day at Sumburu.<<

If that wasn't a typo, I believe Craig meant Samburu.

As there is no flight from the Mara to Samburu (with large elephant herds and species not found elsewhere) and being located up north with morning flights only (the drive from Nairobi would be a bumpy 6/hrs... from the Mara would require an overnight mid-way), so best to visit here first. There's then a regularly scheduled flight - Samburu to the Mara; from the Mara to Nairobi, where you can later in the day connect to JNB.
Oct 17th, 2009, 02:21 PM

A month and unlimited budget! WOW!

August.

7 days in Uganda trekking for gorilla's, chimps and other primates.
7 days in the Mara.
7 days walking in Zambia.
4 days at Tana Delta.
Link all by private charter flight.

Lodges... well my taste is not exactly the premiere/pretentious list...
Oct 17th, 2009, 05:16 PM

Thanks for the Phinda update! Don't want to turn this month of dreaming into a Phinda thread, but was there any mention of half the cheetah population being wiped out by lions at Phinda? Five cheetah, all with cubs would be an indication that the population is recouping.
Oct 21st, 2009, 09:00 AM

I was there this September and saw cheetah mother with her 3 cubs (pre-adults) devouring an Impala. See my trip report on Phinda www.kimssouthafrica.blogspot.com

Search this Thread