Dream of Botswana safari soon to be a reality.

Sep 28th, 2005, 09:40 PM
Original Poster

Dream of Botswana safari soon to be a reality.

After months of enjoyable reading of this forum (especially Rocco's comments), I finally decided to become a "Fodorite" and share with you my trip to Africa which I have been dreaming about for more than 20 years. I know a lot of you are really into Zambia, but I have always wanted to go to Botswana. Each time I read something new I wonder if I picked the right camps. As it is now booked there is no turning back! Here goes:

June 16 Vancouver to London to JB to Maun
June 18 Riley's Hotel
June 19 Kwetsani Camp (3 nights)
June 22 Duba Plains (3nights)
June 25 Duba Tau (3 nights)
June 28 River Club (3 nights) Canoe trip
July 2 London - Chesterfield Mayfair (5 nights)

More time on safari would have been nice but with the exchange rate it just wasn't possible.
Sep 28th, 2005, 10:06 PM

Five nights in London? Great city, and I've enjoyed my time there (I have relatives there, so I've got to go occasionally), but more time on safari would have been my choice. Botswana is my favourite, and I know you will have a really great time. I didn't dream about it for 20 years. I thought about it on the spur of the moment some years ago, chose Botswana and went, then tried a few other places, and finally returned to Bots again and again.

Don't worry about your choice of camps. We all have our favourites, and I return to mine frequently, but I've never been disappointed by any other. It's Africa which counts! I approve of your three nights at each camp. That's about the minimum IMO, because it's only two full days and one or two half days, although if there were only two nights available at a place I really wanted to see, I would be tempted.

If you make use of Duma Tau's elevated hide overlooking the start of the Savuti channel, think of me because I've often looked across the channel at it from a Selinda vehicle.

You have a few months to wait, but I approve of your planning so far ahead. The time will fly.

cheers,
John
www.afrigalah.com
Sep 29th, 2005, 05:09 AM

That's a great trip. Nine nights on safari and three nights at River Club will really allow you a great opportunity to see everything, and nothing wrong with five nights in London (my favorite city).

Sounds great.
Sep 29th, 2005, 07:00 AM

I think it sounds lovely!
Sep 29th, 2005, 07:32 AM

Congrats Raelond! In 2003 my longtime dreams lead me to Botswana as well -- including Duba Plains and Duma Tau. It was one of the only times where the reality actually exceeded my dreams!

You are going to love it, that is a great itinerary.
Sep 29th, 2005, 01:10 PM

Hello,

The Zambia-lovers may be more vocal, but believe me -- many of us think Botswana is brilliant!

The choice to overnight in Maun as opposed to Joburg (which is what most people do) is an interesting one. I've been thinking about doing this myself.

Looks like you've picked a nice range of camps -- Kwetsani is a relatively mellow start to your safari, followed by the lion-buffalo drama at Duba Plains.

Duma Tau is a great camp -- I've really enjoyed my time there.

If I get lucky, I may see you at River Club -- I'm waitlisted there right now.

For the price of 5 nights in London you could probably get at least 5 nights on safari, given the exchange rate between the pound and the dollar. Is there some reason for so much time in London?
Don't get me wrong -- I live in the UK and I love London, but if money is a factor this is one place where you can definitely cut your budget, and a London hotel won't charge a cancellation fee.

If you do want to do five nights in London but want to save a bit of money, you could certainly find a boutique hotel for less than the Chesterfield. I don't know if you've stayed there before, but I've been there and was not overwhelmed.

Cheers,
Julian
Sep 29th, 2005, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Julian, five nights in London will cost us about $1500.(Canadian) and 5 nights in Botswana would cost us about $2,500. per person. July is higher than June at Wilderness camps and we cannot go any sooner in June. We are not set at the Chesterfield, but it showed good in the guide books (Fodor's). Canadian dollar is good now compared to what it has been in the past, so the price could be even higher when I go to pay the final amount.
Sep 29th, 2005, 01:56 PM

Hello Raelond,

You must have gotten the deal of the century, because $1500 Canadian for 5 nights in a Mayfair hotel is unheard of ($1500 US is unheard of, come to think of it -- that would be only £166 a night!). Or is that a per person rate? If so, that's a bit more understandable.

If that's for two people, I'd love to find out how you booked it -- it would be nice to have a way to prevent my American friends from bankruptcy when they come over here!

Cheers,
Julian
Sep 29th, 2005, 01:58 PM

That should be 'protect....from bankruptcy...'

Cheers,
Julian

Search this Thread