Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   DRAGOMAN trucks with children (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/dragoman-trucks-with-children-735356/)

emmalberto Sep 9th, 2007 11:09 PM

DRAGOMAN trucks with children

We are thinking of travelling next summer with DRAGOMAN trucks in Namibia with our children that will be 9 and 10.
Has anybody experienced them?
How is the type of trip (truck) actually matching children needs?
Are only families with children on board?
Is the safety level in line with a family?

Thanks and best regards

chimani Sep 10th, 2007 04:24 AM

Hi,

Are you sure they allow children of that age?

I'm surprised the Dragoman website doesn't give you the info you require.

But if you are telling me that they accept children (in my book anovoe?

I've never travelled with them, but I have travelled with other overland trucks. And personally, if I thought I was going to have to share my trip with a couple of 9/10 year olds I'd think again. Not because it is dangerous for children - because it would be dangerous to my mental health.

Sorry - but you should pick another tour company. There are several I think that do "family" trips.

Try exploreworldwide, and maybe even Exodus.

chimani Sep 10th, 2007 04:25 AM

Hi,

Are you sure they allow children of that age?

I'm surprised the Dragoman website doesn't give you the info you require.

But if you are telling me that they accept children (in my book under 18) then hey that would certainly take them off my list.

I've never travelled with them, but I have travelled with other overland trucks. And personally, if I thought I was going to have to share my trip with a couple of 9/10 year olds I'd think again. Not because it is dangerous for children - because it would be dangerous to my mental health.

Sorry - but you should pick another tour company. There are several I think that do "family" trips.

Try exploreworldwide, and maybe even Exodus.

emmalberto Sep 10th, 2007 05:45 AM

Of course they explain everything on their website, they have an offer of trips dedicated to families therefore if you don't want to be with children it is enough to choose the "standard" ones.
I also spoke with DRAGOMAN people and they were very detailed, my question was addressed to those who already had this experience WITH children (my are 8 and 10) and to get feedback from direct experience.

thanks

allycb Sep 11th, 2007 12:53 PM

Hi there!
Have you tried posting on the Lonely Planet forum? You might get more luck getting answers.
I receive the Dragoman newsletter by e-mail and would love to do one of their family trips when my children are older. I'd be very interested in hearing about your experiences if you do decide to go!
Namibia is a fantastic destination, and I am sure that all of the family would have an amazing time.

Momliz Sep 11th, 2007 01:04 PM

I have tried to check out their website but after waiting a few minutes for it to load I gave up. Any tricks?
I like to do adventure type travel with my kids, they love it and we all have fun.

emmalberto Sep 11th, 2007 01:10 PM

I didn't have issues in going into their website; I spoke with them and they gave me a very good impression. I also had a reference from them of a family who's been with them in Namibia this August, I spoke with the lady and she told me great things about the experience.
It would be good to hear also from other feedbacks.

I will keep this forum updated as soon as I have more details.

thanks

emmalberto Sep 11th, 2007 10:23 PM

Following your advices I looked into the LONELY PLANET forum and there is actually lots of info on DRAGOMAN overland trips.

luangwablondes Sep 11th, 2007 11:12 PM

Hire a 4x4 with rooftop tents and drive it yourself. Namibia maybe one of the easiest places to navigate in Africa and with reservations at a couple key places, you could have a great time. The campsite situation is well organised there.

There are thousands each year of overseas visitors that do just that from all over the world, including the states.

luangwablondes Sep 11th, 2007 11:15 PM

Looking at the Dragoman itinerary, you really don't need a 4x4. There are camper vehicles that are very good or just hire a car and stay in accomodations along the way.

allycb Sep 12th, 2007 03:43 AM

Momliz- the web was probably just down when you looked. I have just checked and had no problems. Try again and sign up for the e-newsletter. They don't have many family trips, but I would like to try out the ones they have!!
While I agree that Namibia must be an easy self-drive destination, from my trip in 1999, I remember that the distances were very long, and I actually really enjoyed the company of my fellow travellers (OK, I admit this can be the high or low light of the trip according to who you end up with!!). Please keep us informed!!

Lynneb Sep 17th, 2007 02:14 AM

I've used Dragomon in South America. I don't think you will find it suitable unless it's a specific family designed trip.

allycb Sep 17th, 2007 03:50 AM

Dragoman does specific family trips.