Search

Terrorism in Egypt?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2001, 12:13 PM
Cathy

Terrorism in Egypt?

I was posting to see how the travel situation is to Egypt. My family was planning a trip to Cairo this winter, but we put it off because of the threat of terrorism.<BR><BR>We had heard that there was a massacre of dozens of European tourists by islamic terrorists in Luxor a few years ago, but that the Egyptian government had tried to crack down on these people.<BR><BR>After Sept. 11, we have seen numerous news interviews in which egyptian citizens had said that the US 'had it coming', had put cartoons of planes crashing into skyscrapers on their PDA's, celebrated and shouted 'bullseye' when news of the attacks spread, and even that many in the arab world believe that the bin laden tape in which he discussed masterminding that attack was a 'fake'.<BR><BR>Given these attitudes, is it safe for europeans and americans to travel to Egypt? How widespread is this popular support for the terrorists there?<BR><BR>I set aside the issue of whether we should use our tourist dollars to support people who have expressed such horrifying attitutes in support of terrorism. <BR><BR>Thanks

Old Dec 28th, 2001, 04:13 PM
Perry

Cathy, I wouldn't go if I were you.

Old Dec 28th, 2001, 05:15 PM
Kathy

Cathy you have to stay home. People like you are not ready to travel now and won't be ready for a long time.

Old Dec 28th, 2001, 10:21 PM
Brandi

I see nothing wrong with her asking this, it is a legit question. What do you mean by "people like you"? Maybe family people who care about their safety when vacationing? <BR><BR>To answer the question, as a Travel Agent, I would give you the facts and let you decide. Egypt is getting alot of bad publicity, as a result tourism is down. They are going to be, if not already, desperate. Tourism is their first source of income. I can assure you that they are doing everything they can to make it a safe destination, for their own good, as well as the safety of the tourists. You might even get some great deals because of the situation. Personally, I would go, but I have more of an adventerous spirit and travel alone everywhere I go. <BR><BR>I would reccomend booking with a tour company you and your agent have checked out. Tour companies know their stuff and wouldn't endanger their clients for the sake of a buck, its bad policy. <BR><BR>hope this helps<BR>Brandi

Old Dec 29th, 2001, 04:45 AM
ipsych

we are travelling to egypt on 20/01/02 for 9 days.will go to cairo and then on a nile cruise. after we are back, will post again re our experiences.<BR>ipsych

Old Dec 29th, 2001, 11:58 AM
john

Kathy's reply to Cathy was uncalled for IMO - her concern about travel to Egypt right now is quite understandable. Given recent events in India and Pakistan, it seems like more instability may be in store. Seems like everywhere in the world islamic fundamentalists exist, there is terror, oppression, corruption, and war. <BR><BR>And the US has just finished round one of what will likely be a struggle that lasts years or even decades, and as the US cracks down on these terrorists and those who support them, westerners will likely not be too popular in the regions where terrorist groups flourish.<BR><BR>

Old Dec 29th, 2001, 03:24 PM
Sam

We just returned from Egypt last Thursday and we had a nice time. However, I regreat that we went now because there were a number of people who expressed to us their support for September 11th attackers and it was very uncomfortable to feel that we are not suppoerted by them and if it wasn't for American $ I am afraid they could be even more unhappy about us being there. One taxi driver refused to take us back to our hotel from a market. We got to his taxi and his first question was if we are Americans and when we confirmed he said "Get out of my car" in almost perfect English. After that during our 10 days in Egypt most of the time I felt scared. I learned my lesson and won't plan any trips to any Islamic country. I rather support economy of our country or those countries who feel our pain

Old Dec 29th, 2001, 10:41 PM
suspicious

Call me suspicious, but Sam's response has the same syntax and minor spelling and grammar errors as a poster on another BB who claims to be from a Middle Eastern country.

Old Dec 29th, 2001, 11:08 PM
suspicious

Sorry - I must be a jerk for making unsubstantiated accusations against people.<BR><BR>Next time I'll offer some kind of evidence or proof before I spout my propaganda.<BR><BR>Once again, I apologize.

Old Dec 30th, 2001, 02:44 AM
Sam

To explain myself to those who are suspicious <BR>English is not my native language. However I live in the US for over twenty years and I am the US citizen who travels abroad often. In regard to Egypt I only wrote about my personal experiences. Not even once did I state that Cathy shouldn't go. Only she will make this very important decision. At least I always research before my trips and enjoy reading what others have to say about places I will visit. But a final decision whether to go or not must be mine. <BR>As to my grammar mistakes please remember here on this board are many posters whose English is not their first language and I think that we should appreciate their input regardless of grammar or syntax mistakes. Their suggestions or experiences are valuable to other posters. <BR>However, I am always amazed how many of those whose English is their first language are not able to make a distinction between "there" and "their" (often spelled as thier).

Old Dec 30th, 2001, 02:51 AM
Sam

I almost forgot to mention that your appology "Suspicious" is accepted and for your information Fodors is only a board I visit. Any input on traveling to Egypt that would answer Cathy's questions?

Old Dec 31st, 2001, 08:29 AM
Cathy

Sam - thank you for relating your experiences while travelling in Egypt.<BR><BR>I'm sorry you had to experience a personal attack against you because someone didn't like what you had to say. Nevertheless, your comments should be helpful to western travellers in deciding whether Egypt is safe right now for them.<BR><BR>I am amazed at the continuing reports about the deep level of resentment and hatred by many arabs and muslims toward the west. The US gives 2.9 billion dollars in aid to egypt every year, has supported humanitarian missions to many parts of the muslim world including 150 million in aid to afghanistan last year, has deployed its military forces to prevent the murder of muslims in kosovo and bosnia, and yet egyptians, palestinians, and others expressed joy and celebrated the Sept. 11 murder attacks on thousands of innocent civilians.<BR><BR>This irrational hatred of the west, illustrated by your own experience, tells me that I do not want to travel to that region or give my tourist dollars to support the people who wish so much to harm us.

Old Dec 31st, 2001, 03:53 PM
Sue

Cathy:<BR>We were in Egypt in the early spring and enjoyed it so much that we decided to go back again. We just recently returned and I know we never had any real concern about our safety. The security is everywhere both in Cairo and the Upper Nile. Oh,the antiquity of it all.

Old Dec 31st, 2001, 05:42 PM
Dina

Cathy: We were in Cairo in October, and received a warmer welcome than any European country on our trip, including from children and others not in the tourism business. Although some residents were concerned over U.S. bombing etc., it was clear that they had were more anxious over losing American visitors, and had no problem separating whatever political differences they felt from their personal friendliness to us. It was a wonderful experience and a good chance for us to act as goodwill ambassadors. I'd go again in a minute.

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 05:03 AM
Rand M

I have spoken with people who have recently traveled to Egypt, and they reported that while there were times they felt uncomfortable, they didn't feel they were in actual danger for the most part. They said most of the anti-western anger is directed those who represent 'wealth and arrogance'. <BR><BR>In other words, backpackers and shoestring travelers might find this is a good time to pick up bargains in Egypt, but those who might be considered 'wealthy' - i.e. those on tours, or being seen in upscale hotels and restaurants, or those who bring entire familes - could be at much more risk. They pointed out that it was a tour group that was attacked in Luxor a couple of years ago, in which (I think) 60 or so european tourists were gunned down by islamic terrorists.<BR><BR>Best wishes to all - happy new year!

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 05:37 AM
re:luxor attacks

When we were in Egypt 8 months ago our tour guide showed us the spot of the attack. In a crowded site, gunment hid in the hills and shot down at tourists. It is hard to imagine that they could differentiate from that distance in that crowd from poor or affluent Westerners. It is true that the government has gone to to great lengths to protect tourists since then, both with show and substance. The government is well aware of the large amount of money brought into the country by tourism and the large number of people who depend on tourism for their livelihood. There were armed "Antiquity Police" everywhere. However, that was last Spring. I am not sure how the government could protect you from extremists. They certainly can not control the mindset of citizens. Another take on spending money in such a country is that I often wonder and worry about the marginally employed people we saw while we were there, such as those selling bottled water and trinkets to tourists who now are most likely much worse off financially than before 9/11. These individuals certainly did not attack the WTC and are merely trying to make a living. Still, I am not sure I would feel comfortable or safe in Egypt today. Since most people make a trip to Egypt only once, it will be difficult those answering your inquiry to compare the attitudes pre and post 9/11.

Old Jan 2nd, 2002, 05:50 AM
Rand M

You raise some good points - in fact, my friends reported that the Egyptian government is trying to crack down on islamic terrorists, who oppose the government and who are hurting the economy.<BR><BR>However, they also reported their sense that the majority of citizens - not just a few - have extreme anti-american views. Mainly, they object to the US stance vis a vis Israel. However, it seems this has spilled over to the point where ordinary people in egypt, many in the middle class and not just the poor - actually cheered and expressed satisfaction over the murder attacks against the US on sept 11. Imagine the degree of hostility that must exist for people to actually express joy or satisfaction over such a thing - truly appalling.<BR><BR>They also said that they felt the Egyptians resented American and European 'wealth and arrogance' - hence their recommendation that this would be a great time for adventurous backpackers and shoestring travellers to go, while more affluent people would be at more risk. Certainly, given the current tensions, it would not be prudent to bring one's family any muslim country at this time, and it seemed like very good advice to avoid upscale hotels, restaurants, and tour groups.<BR><BR>

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 09:02 AM
Jean

Re terrorism in Egypt - anybody know what the final verdict was on the crash of Egypt Air 990 from NYC to Cairo?<BR><BR>Last I heard the crash was due to an Egyptian pilot deliberately committing suicide or crashing the plane - apparently he had dressed in red and was uttering prayers prior to the disaster.<BR><BR>In the light of events on Sept 11, provides food for thought anyway.

Old Jan 13th, 2002, 08:26 PM
Belinda

I just came back from Egypt last week. Spent nearly 20 days there. It is perfectly safe over there. Did not encounter any trouble at all. <BR><BR>This is probably the best time to go as there aren't too many tourists and we didn't have to queue up for the tourist spots. Even, have great discounts on hotels and transportation.<BR><BR>The Egyptians are really friendly people. The only thing is there are a LOT of people offering assistance as local guides and taxi rides. I guessed that they are only trying very hard to make an earning.<BR><BR>Really enjoyed the whole trip and did not regret going at all.

Old Jan 14th, 2002, 04:10 PM
Sal

I went to Luxor and Cairo last year and would go again in a heartbeat. I never felt unsafe and everyone was very friendly. Now, it may have been because I am European, but I don't think so. Unless you play the "ugly American", i.e. are loud and obnoxious, you shouldn't have any problems. There were people from all over at our hotel in both places and nobody felt unwelcome. Plus, there's police everywhere. Egypt is a place everyone should see at least once, it is so beautiful and rich in history. You shouldn't let hysteria or politics stop you from seeing one of the greatest countries in the world.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -