Number of Occupants in Safari Vehicles/Governor's Camp

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thinking of booking with Governor's Camp during September. Can anyone tell me the maximum number of visitors in a vehicle (what type, by the way)?. With the maximum number will photography be adversely affected? Thanks. Steve
Old Jun 4th, 2010, 12:39 PM
TC

We were at Governor's (Little Governor's) 10 years ago, so things may have changed. At that time, they tried to put 6 of us in one vehicle. I complained that we had all been promised "window seats" and they added another vehicle for us. I wouldn't want more than four people in one. With six in one vehicle, it would be difficult to get good photos without climbing over each other. You can see their vehicles in the video clips here: http://www.governorscamp.com/property_videos.php

They are showing both open sided and closed sided autos. We only saw the closed sided (with glass windows) and hatch roofs like those <u>near the end</u> of the first video. I would ask before I booked and be certain of what is being promised -- in writing.
Old Jun 4th, 2010, 02:19 PM

We were also at -Little- Governors in Sep 2006 for five nights. In our vehicle there were four of us total. Ourselves and another couple from England. The game drive vehicle was a Land Rover. Open top, open sides, open totally except for drivers window. Good for photography. And this was the typical Land Rover set up that we saw at Little Governors. Of equal importance is your guide. Ours was ok but not at the top of my list of guides I've had.

regards - tom
Old Jun 4th, 2010, 07:12 PM

If photography and game viewing is of primary interest - I highly recommend Serian camp. Rates are inclusive of a private vehicle.

I have been to Governor's camp in 2002. It is in a great location in the Mara, but, i doubt I'd return.
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 05:37 AM

I was at Governors and Little Governors in March 2009.

Most vehicles have 2 rows of seats behind the driver. Removable soft roofs although the default position seemed to be 'on' (I asked for it 'off' and thankfully nobody in my vehicle objected). Open sided with soft covers in case of rain.

Two individual seats in the row immediately behind the driver, with the row behind that (the back row) seating 3.

The max per vehicle is 5. The "5th" person either sits as part of the 3 at the back or next to the driver. This was a major issue for me because neither sitting in a row of 3 or next to the driver is very good particularly if you are a keen photographer. The seat next to the driver has no pop up roof and the honeymooners weren't keen on me sharing the back row with them!

They seem to put five in a vehicle if there is a single traveller, that person sharing with two couples. I had this problem during my stay but asked to move to another vehicle which was accommodated.

The five in the vehicle would, more than anything else I experienced at the camps, put me off returning (although I do not think Governors are alone with this policy - others will no doubt share their experiences at other camps on this point).

That apart, I thought Governors was excellent. Ask for Joasch as you guide - he was very good.
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 09:37 AM

We were at Little Governor's in September 2008 and the most we saw were 5 people in a vehicle, usually 4. As the other posters said, the vehicles have a removable soft top which makes photography easier. We always pay extra for a private vehicle/guide and I can't imagine going with other people. We can stay out as long as we want, see what we want. It's well worth the extra money.
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 10:23 AM

I've had 4 or 5. At times I was that solo traveler with 2 couples and sat up front next to the driver. But some of the men liked sitting up there too. The guide made sure he positioned the vehicle the front seat got a good view too.
Old Jun 5th, 2010, 06:10 PM

I saw seven in one vehicle, I even took a picture of them as they were taking pictures of animals.

This was ridiculous..... four were standing up taking pictures and the other three were sitting down , waiting for their turn !!

When you want to take pictures of animals, there is NO waiting for your turn .... the moment may be lost forever .

So four is okay, we had two but then ours was a private tour.
Old Jun 6th, 2010, 03:56 AM

HariS,

I will be at Serian in Sept. (2 at their mobile) and was wondering if you could tell me if the vehicles are open or not? I would ask this of Serian's agent (New African Territories), but unfortunately for me they are not very responsive to my requests. It is very disconcerting considering all the great press they receive.

Hoping that will change by the time I get there!

Thanks!
MoneyBurns
Old Jun 6th, 2010, 06:14 AM

Yes. Open Vehicle - they have a removable roof, as they do in many places in Southern Africa. If you do all day drives, you can request the roof back on for the mid-day. It's how you want it!
Old Jun 6th, 2010, 08:12 AM

Thanks so HariS; I enjoy all your trip reports so hoping you are planning a big Africa trip soon!

Didn't want to hijack the thread but I've seen pics of both; nice to know what to expect.

Tx
MB
Old Jun 6th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone, for all the information. Percy's indication of having seen 7 in a car gives me the willies. But at least I have more to go on now.

Best, Steve
Old Jun 6th, 2010, 06:24 PM

sdb2

Hi There

If you want to see the picture of 7 in a vehicle ,I would be happy to send it over.

[email protected]
Old Jun 6th, 2010, 08:54 PM

Thanks, MB. Head off to Bots in a couple of months time ...... amidst the floods and high water levels. Fingers crossed for drivable roads and wild dog dens (almost very nervous this year)
Old Jun 7th, 2010, 10:03 AM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
I've been at Governor's twice, Feb07 and Sep09.

2007 was 4 people in a vehicle for a couple of days and then the other couple wanted to go to another area for game drives so they split us up and each couple had their own vehicle for a couple of days.

2009 We shared with another couple for 1 game drive and then we had our own vehicle for all the others (4 nights). We had requested a guide that wouldn't be available for the 1st drive and when I was verifying that we would be getting our guide I might have mentioned that we didn't really want to share a vehicle with people that had to stop at every single animal because we had been to Africa 9 & 10 times (or whatever it was) and knew quite a bit already. Having the big lenses may also help a bit.

People with over 4 in a vehicle for games drives should ask their driver or the camp manager to move them to another vehicle. I would start out being nice and polite and if that doesn't work, then complain. They are just people trying to make a buck and they will try to get away with what they can (more people per vehicle = less vehicles = more profit) and if no one complains then it worked. If you ask (or have to complain) I'm pretty sure they will get another vehicle.

Have a great trip!
Old Jun 7th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Sundowner, for the information! Steve