Does Zambia require an Adult dose of Polio vaccine?

May 21st, 2012, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Does Zambia require an Adult dose of Polio vaccine?

I just returned from my travel "consultation" and was told by the physician that their WHO report states that Zambia requires for Polio an"adequate primary series and 1 adult dose". Is this true? We received our Yellow Fever vaccines because we will be traveling back to South Africa after Zambia but this is the first I'd heard that Zambia requires an adult dose of Polio. Anyone had this experience?
May 21st, 2012, 03:46 PM

I don't believe Zambia requires a polio vaccination for entry. Polio usually falls within a list of diseases that varying sources recommend you update if necessary (e.g., tetanus, polio, diphtheria) or protect yourself against if you haven't already (e.g., thyphoid, Hep A, Hep B, rabies) when traveling to many countries in Africa.

The CDC, the mention of whose name makes many cringe or hurl invective over their conservatism, says, "Recommended for adult travelers who have received a primary series with either inactivated poliovirus vaccine (IPV) or oral polio vaccine (OPV). They should receive another dose of IPV before departure. For adults, available data do not indicate the need for more than a single lifetime booster dose with IPV."

A bit of a blurb on the CDC and polio is below:

http://www.examiner.com/article/cdc-...o-44-countries

Search this Thread