Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Does anybody have any feedback or opinions on following Garden Route accomodations???

Does anybody have any feedback or opinions on following Garden Route accomodations???

Mar 29th, 2003, 12:54 AM
Original Poster

Does anybody have any feedback or opinions on following Garden Route accomodations???

Grootbos Lodge:
www.grootbos.com/GrootbosLodge/index.htm
Price is 3,000 ZAR per night (1,500 pps)
Tariff includes breakfast, lunch and dinner as well as many activities including 4x4 nature drives, archaelogy expeditions to the Limestone Caves, Birdwatching Tours (not my thing), and the one that I like best horseback riding. I had a mild asthma attack last time I went horseback riding three months ago, but I think that was because the horses were filthy in Torres Del Paine National Park, Chile.

Phantom Forest Eco Reserve:
http://phantomforest.com
Price is 2,250 ZAR per night (1,125 pps)
This place is in the same area as Tsala Treetop Lodge and almost looks as nice for 1310 ZAR per night less. It is privately set on 137 hectares. This place has a "Body Boma," offering massages and more in a fantastic setting. It would be like getting massages daily for free plus the remaining difference would nearly pay for four days of rental car for my Garden Route portion of the trip.

OK (two hours later)...I checked every source known to me including e-gnu.com, attractiveafrica.com, safarinow.com, mtbeds.co.za, uyuaphi.com, natureworkshop.com, and many others, and the only places I found that interested me were the above named places.

I could very well be overlooking some places.
I am looking for places that are distinct and out of the ordinary.

I do want luxury but not in a typical hotel type setting. I love the places in Knysa that are in the forest, espcially Phantom Forest Eco Reserve and Tsala Treetop Lodge.

In the end, the best thing to do may be to spend two nights at Grootbos followed by two nights at either Phantom Forest Eco Reserve or Tsala Treetop Lodge. I realize that Grootbos is not quite on the Garden Route but it seems better than anyplace I have seen outside of Knysa.

Search this Thread