Does "Africa" needs its own category?

Dec 14th, 2007, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Does "Africa" needs its own category?

It is such a fast moving and popular category, that any of us looking for something on the Middle East cannot simply scroll down 50-100 posts, but need to do a search, which, sometimes I feel has not rescued all the relevant posts.

what do you think?
Dec 14th, 2007, 09:33 AM

I agree, although there is less discussion on the Middle East - maybe move Turkey from Europe, and include the 'stans, both of whom are kind of orphaned.
Dec 14th, 2007, 09:54 AM

Yes, good idea. Maybe "North Africa and the Middle East."
Dec 14th, 2007, 07:54 PM
sniktawk

Yes.

Dec 15th, 2007, 06:29 AM
Jed

As it stands, I think that the 'forum' list is a compromise between too specific and too general. Every forum can be split. For instance, there has been discussion as to whether Hawaii should be separated from the rest of 'US'.
Dec 15th, 2007, 03:48 PM

I agree. What a pain for people who want Middle East info to have to sift through so many Africa threads. Since Middle East is not a current travel interest for me, I never look at those destinations.

The fact that this category is joined by and ampersand to begin with would make the split easy.

I am with you on the search missing things.

This has been brought up before. Good point!
Dec 15th, 2007, 11:43 PM

I think Africa does need its own category.

But of course, categories are only as good as the users' geography. I am really only interested in answering questions on Morocco - which many forum users think is in the Middle East or even Europe. I have to scroll through two forums to pick out the posts about Morocco. If the Middle East is separated from Africa, I'll have to scroll through three.

I have to say, the Tripadvisor format is really much better - forums are divided by country.
Dec 16th, 2007, 01:00 AM

Not saying there should or should not be a split.....but where would Egypt go???? Technically, it's Africa, but in terms of touristy stuff....it's somewhat more in line with the Middle East.
Dec 16th, 2007, 01:45 AM

I remember back when I started using the internet, before the web, when everything was in newsgroups, there was a community called rec.travel which initially was one huge single group. We voted to split it into broad categories much like the ones currently here at Fodors and it worked very well.

However, a subsequent vote (which I didn't agree with) resulted in it being split down much further and it became unusable.

A single itinerary was suddenly split between 3 or 4 subgroups and resulted in lots of duplicate postings across the subgroups as the posters tried to get advice on each destination.

Whilst I agree that the Africa bit of this fora is much busier than the Middle East bit I think the solution is not to split the two apart but to implement a much, much better archiving and search function.

Also, there would always be arguments about how best to split the content. Some would argue that North Africa and Middle East should be one group and sub-Saharan Africa the other group. Some would insist that all of Africa should be one group and the Middle East on it's own. Turkey could logically be included in Europe and the Middle East.

Honestly, I think it's better to leave the split as it is but improve the Search function.