Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Do you know these safari camps? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/do-you-know-these-safari-camps-224542/)

susan300 Jan 5th, 2006 06:03 AM

Do you know these safari camps?

anyone stay at Pom Pom Camp, Lebala and Kwara Camp? What is your experience with them? Would appreciate any comments. Also is it better to spend three days in two camps rather than two nights in three different camps?

thit_cho Jan 5th, 2006 07:06 AM

The two-night/three camp vs. three-night/two camp question doesn't have one answer. I prefer two-night/three camp since in my opinion, four drives is adequate at each camp (and you'll get four drives with a two-night stay), and I prefer to see different habitats. But others don't like to move so much. Its really a personal decision. Note that the transfers in the Delta are done mid-day, when you'd otherwise be at the camp, so you shouldn't miss any drives by transferring.

Richard_Smith Jan 5th, 2006 09:06 AM

Dear Susan

I also replied to you other post saying slow the trip down. I like three nights as I think you get the ebst out of your guide on that final day you are together. You're scratching the surface for two days and really getting under the skin of an area on the third night.

However, it is a personal thing

Richard

jasher Jan 5th, 2006 04:12 PM

Hello Susan,

I would much rather spend three nights at two camps -- in addition to being more relaxing (not so much packing and unpacking and being in transit) it gives you a chance to get to know a particular area better. A longer stay also gives your guide a chance to get to know you, so he or she can start pointing out the things that you are most interested in.

When I travel, I stay a minimum of three nights per camp, and four if the camp looks particularly good. I'll do five nights or more at a truly special camp (Mombo or Londoz).

Cheers,
Julian

Lin Jan 6th, 2006 07:26 PM

Hi Susan,
I stayed at Pom Pom in July of 2004. It was not my favorite place but I know that could have been due to the abysmal management team there at the time, and they actually were substitutes temporarily in charge while the regular managers were on break. Pom Pom is one of the more rustic water camps. Negatives: Showers backed up so we stood in dead bugs and filth during showers; our 'bush shower' was actually in back of the tent on the main track where employees were constantly walking by, and there was no view; when waters are high (as in July), game drives are very restricted in that the vehicle must stay on one or two main tracks, because the land is very muddy. In fact we got stuck in the mud twice, and it was very difficult to spot any game that was off the road. Good points: The lagoon is FULL of hippo and it's awesome to hear them all night and see them during the day (it's very hard to sleep!). The tents are right at the edge of the water. Also, speed-boating and fishing are offered as an alternative to the usual game drives/mokoro rides (although the boat kept breaking down).

And here's my input on the 2 vs 3 day stays - If this would be my only chance for an African safari, and it was in Botswana, I would definitely do the 2 day stays. Why? Because in Botswana the camps are relatively near to one another so flights are rarely more than 30 minutes, transfers are flawlessly arranged to coincide with siesta time, and this way one can experience several different areas of the delta/Linyanti as your three camps would offer. With a 2 day stay you still get four activities in each camp. When I went to Zambia it was an entirely different story because transfers were much longer. Having the opportunity to return for my 3rd trip in a row, I'm choosing to stay for 3 nights at most of the places on this year's itinerary -but that's because I've been to Botswana before. Good luck, I don't think you can go wrong either way.

santharamhari Jan 6th, 2006 08:37 PM

I was at both Lebala and Kwara in December. I would definitely do 3 nights at each. Particularly at Lebala.....the place is so vast and varied, that two nights do not do justice. Bear in mind, there is a lot of tracking of footprints to find the animals, so you do spend time doing that.

The Kwando guides are fantastic. I recommend Spencer in Lebala and Ras in Kwara. They were my guides, but all of their guides are of fantastic standard.......and you cant make a mistake by choosing to travel with Kwando.

Both camps are different, but Lebala is my absolute favourite in all of Africa. Bear in mind, i have been to Mombo too........(in terms of overall experience)