Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Do I really need a fleece jacket this time of year? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/do-i-really-need-a-fleece-jacket-this-time-of-year-321875/)

Arielle Mar 12th, 2008 09:25 AM

Do I really need a fleece jacket this time of year?

Many of the postings recommend a fleece jacket for chilly early morning game drives in Kruger. We will be there next week (can't wait!) and I notice that the temperatures in the Sabi Sands area where we are going are ranging between lows in the 60's and highs in the lower 90's. Yes, our fleece jackets are warm and light, but they tend to be bulky to pack. We are trying to pack as light and condensed as possible. What do all of you who are "in the know" think? Would long sleeved polos and sweatshirts suffice? Thanks again - you are all such a big help.

sandi Mar 12th, 2008 01:43 PM

The morning/night temps might be in the 60s (or high 50s) which when standing still doing nothing is very comfy. However, when on game drives in open vehicles and they haul off over the plains, the wind picks up and can get downright cold. You can keep the fleece out and use as cover/blanket on the plane. Or wrap around your waist, so no need to pack.

KayeN Mar 12th, 2008 05:04 PM

Hi Arielle

We were in the Sabi Sands over Dec/Jan 2008. My niece and I had 3-4 light layers on in the early morning and when the sun goes down! We were still both so cold I ended up buying a big fleecy jumper which was perfect. This was in the middle of summer!

Nothing is worse than being freezing on a gamedrive, so if I was in your position, I would be taking the fleece jacket. Weather in this area can be wildly unpredictable!

Happy gameviewing!

Kind regards

Kaye

cary999 Mar 12th, 2008 06:49 PM

Kruger you say, you will be staying at a Kruger camp? Or you will be at a camp in Sabi Sand?

If Kruger, then that is a lot different than the totally open Land Rovers typical in private camps. In Kruger you will be driving your own vehicle, yes? In "your car" you can roll up the windows and turn on the heater while you're just cruising about. And, while on the Kruger roads you are not allowed out of your car anyway, no hiking. Also, you can't get out of camp until after 6am (believe those are summer hours). So keep the car windows mostly up until 9am or so. Or until a photo opportunity. Then in the afternoon turn on the car's air conditioning :-)

If you're in a Sabi Sand camp, then, never mind.

regards - tom

KayeN Mar 12th, 2008 08:07 PM

Hi Arielle

Very true! I am talking about being in an open vehicle - not a normal car!

Kind regards

Kaye

Gritty Mar 13th, 2008 02:54 AM

If you are going to be doing any early morning drives in an open vehicle, definitely bring something warm! Bringing more layers instead of a fleece may work, but I suspect that would make your luggage nearly as bulky.

Arielle Mar 13th, 2008 06:26 AM

Looks like we will be bringing the fleece! We are going to be in Sabi Sands private reserve lodges - so we will be in open vehicles. Better to be safe than sorry. Maybe we had better bring gloves and a hat too! Thanks for all your input.

barbroy Mar 14th, 2008 06:27 AM

Hi Arielle,
We just got back from MalaMala. In the morning (before the sun came up) it was a bit chilly and we needed long sleeved shirts. Same in the afternoon after sundown. We took fleeces but did not use them. However, its getting cooler all the time now so fleeces may be advisable. Also if your vehicle stops after sundown to watch wildlife you will be bombarded by large flying insects and a wide brimmed hat and zip up top will help.
Outside for dinner in the evening I was very comfortable in a sleeveless blouse.
BTW we did not get one insect bite and never saw a mosquito but still took anti-malarials just in case.
regards
Barb

Arielle Mar 14th, 2008 11:27 AM

Thanks Barb. This is good information since it is so current and close to the actual time we will be at Mala Mala. We are taking malarone for malaria prevention as a precaution - don't know any good reason why we shouldn't, actually. We have decided to just wear the fleece jackets and tie them around our waists when we get to So. Africa. I figure they can be used as a wrap (or clump it up and use as a pillow) on the looooonnnng flight over.