Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

do I need visas for Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda, Egypt?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I an a usa citizen traveling on a usa passport.

I will travel to Greece, Egypt, then Kenya, then Rwanda, then back to Nairobi, and then to Tanzania, and finally back to Kenya and return to Egypt and Greece and home to the usa.

Where do I go for visas? I know I can send away for them in the usa to each embassy - but this requires sending off my pasport and that takes time and is risking losing a passport in the mail or at some embassy.

Can I make it easier to get them by buying them at each airport since all transportation between countries is national airlines? Does it cost more and does it ad much time to the airport experience or is it easy?

Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 04:12 AM
sandi

Not sure, but you probably don't require a Visa for Greece.

You will need Visas for Egypt, Kenya, Tanzania and Rwanda. You can obtain these on arrival for Egypt (USD $20 or less), Kenya and Tanzania (USD$50 each). I'm not certain about Rwanda. But I would strongly suggest you contact each of these embassies to verify all, then decide how you wish to obtain these.

Do, however, be certain you have sufficient time remaining on your passport - most countries require at minimum 6-month before expiration. Also and very important - have sufficient passport pages for each of these Visas. If you need additional pages, you can obtain these, at no charge, by filling out the form that can be downloaded from the passport website, send to the agency address - should be returned within 3-weeks.

Remember - check with each of the embassies as things do change.

Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 07:06 AM

How long are you staying in Kenya before heading to Rwanda? That will determine how many and what type of Kenya visa(s) you'll require for this trip.

If you're only transitting the airport, then no visa should be necessary. If you're staying a few days, you may qualify for the cheaper transit visa (ask upon arrival, I think it's $20). If staying longer, then you'll need the regular 90 day(?) visa that costs $50.

Upon returning to Kenya from Rwanda, you'll need another Kenya visa as your original Kenya visa (if you'd gotten one) will no longer be valid for re-entry once you travel outside of the 3 country zone of Kenya/Tanzania/Uganda.

Coming back to Kenya from Tanzania, you won't need another Kenya visa to re-enter Kenya if you purchased the regular (not transit) visa. Between the 3 countries listed above there's an agreement that allows multiple re-entries on one visa as long as you don't travel outside this zone (Rwanda isn't part of this agreement).

Hope the above makes sense.

It's very easy to purchase your Kenya visa(s) on arrival at NBO airport. Just have your application filled out, your passport, and visa fee ready. There are separate immigration lines for those arriving with visas and those arriving without, just go to the visa desk. I believe it's the same for Tanzania.

I don't know about the entry requirements for Rwanda and Egypt.
Old Oct 5th, 2005, 08:05 PM
Original Poster

Here is our schedule

We will stop in Egypt for 12 hours and go into the city, then onto Kenya on Egypt Air.

Two days in Nairobi, and then 3 days in Rwanda for a gorilla trek returning to Nairobi for the night because of the flight schedule.

Four days safari in Tanzania and return to Nairobi the night before we return to the USA via Cairo using Egypt Air. We stop for 24 hours in Cairo again and fly via Athens back to USA using our free mileage plus tickets.

That is why the routing is so screwed up. We had free travel using mileage plus (United) to Athens and low cost flight by Egypt Air to Nairobi and return.

I wish the trip was longer, but it is the best we could arrange.

Because of the in and out pattern we will touch Kenya three times and Rwanda once and Tanzania once and Egypt two times.
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 05:18 AM

US, UK, and Canucks don't need a visa for Rwanda. At Nairobi there is a line up for those with and without visas but when I was there they had those without visas also go into the other line. Same deal at Kilimanjero airport except the line for getting visas was really long so try to get there quick.

Lawrence
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 12:34 PM

This is the latest from the Rwandan embassy in the uK (as a US citizan it looks like you don't need a visa):

http://www.ambarwanda.org.uk/visa/index.htm

For UK Nationals and Nationals of the following countries, there is no fee for a visa application and visas can be obtained at any major point of entry into the Republic of Rwanda at no cost:

Burundi,
Canada,
Democratic Republic of Congo,
Germany,
Hong Kong,
Kenya,
South Africa,
Sweden,
United States of America

Old Oct 6th, 2005, 08:00 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the help.

I think it goes like this

no visa needed to enter greece

a simple visa process in Cairo, Egypt requiring no special preparation

in Kenya we arrive at 4am and can get the visa at the window there. I do not expect much of a line at that time of the morning so we will get the visa right there at the airport.

In Rwanda we are exempt because we are americans

In Tanzania we need to get the visa ahead of the trip to avoid 3pm long lines at the airport. That makes sense to me

thanks to all for the advice
Old Oct 6th, 2005, 08:26 PM

Actually I read it to mean that you do need a visa which you can obtain at any major port of entry at no charge.