Djuma in September?

Aug 22nd, 2006, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Djuma in September?

Just a quick question about game viewing at Djuma Game Reserve in Sabi Sands.

I know that it's dry season in late September, and from the map I don't see any rivers near Djuma.

How is the game viewing likely to be at Djuma at that time? Would it be significantly better at Mala Mala, for example?

Thanks for your help.
Aug 22nd, 2006, 03:39 PM

Hello Dee,

Though I've never been to Djuma, I have been to the Sabi Sands in September (Londolozi) and found that the river was a big factor in where the game was seen. Game viewing at Londoz is very good in general, but there were far more animals in the part of the reserve near the river.

Mala Mala has a huge amount of river frontage, which makes it a big draw for animals both in the Sabi Sand and over in Kruger. I recently returned from a trip to Mala Mala and had absolutely superb game-viewing -- I'd highly recommend it.

Cheers,
Julian
Aug 22nd, 2006, 04:48 PM

One of the advantages of the river is that the large herd of Buffalo will come down to drink daily at that time of year, and will stay on MM for almost a week at a time. This has led to some great scenes of Lion hunting Buffalo. Buffalo prefer the river over water holes.
Djuma I'm sure like many properties has an artificial water hole which will probably keep some game on property, but the river has definite advantages.
Aug 23rd, 2006, 03:46 PM

My husband and I stayed at Djuma (Vuyatela) in early October, 2004, and the game viewing was wonderful. I can't give a comparison to anywhere else as it was our first experience but the watering hole in front of the main lodge attracted a great many animals and the viewing on the game drives was excellent as there are other watering holes on their property. We enjoyed the whole experience there so much that we are going back at the beginning of December and staying an extra couple of days (hooray!).
Aug 25th, 2006, 04:55 PM

I visited MM in 2001 with a friend. She continues to visit the Sabi Sands area, but now goes to Djuma. The game-viewing is excellent and she really enjoys the people there.
Aug 25th, 2006, 11:24 PM
Original Poster

thank you all for the input.