Diving with the great white shark in South Africa

Dec 13th, 2002, 12:59 PM
clare

Diving with the great white shark in South Africa

Good evening

I have looked in the search (fodors) for diving with the great white, but not much information came up. So have any of you done this?
What company?
How many days?
Experience?
Cost etc etc

would much appreciate the information

Thank you

Clare

Dec 13th, 2002, 01:49 PM
Michael

I went in August 2002 with White Shark Ecoventures. You'll only need one day, and it can be done as a day trip from Cape Town since they will provide round trip transfer. Price was around US$100. It was excellent. You can find them by doing a yahoo search

Dec 15th, 2002, 11:09 AM
clare

I've found them on the web and also unreal dives it is a choice between them two at the moment. Was it just luck you managed to get a calm day at sea to be able to go in the cage? We are also going in August

thank you

clare

Dec 17th, 2002, 11:51 PM
traci

Hi Clare

You are going to be taking a chance with sea conditions in August. It is the tail end of winter and just about anything can happen. Cape Town is renowned for having all four seasons in one day. One thing you can be sure of is that the water will be very cold. Surface conditions will depend very much on what wind is blowing that day and how strong. If you go with an experienced shark organisation, however, I am sure they will take good care of you. Enjoy! You certainly won't catch me getting into any cages - I've had enough "close encounters" growing up on the KZN coastline!

Dec 23rd, 2002, 01:59 PM
Michael

Of course, there is an element of luck involved. The first time I went cage-diving, in June 2000, I spent a calm day on the water with no shark sightings (well, that's not exactly accurate -- one shark did swim beneath the boat and I saw his shadow). Last August 2002, with White Shark Ecoventures (I can't recommend them highly enough), while the water was a little choppy, we saw five sharks, and got to spend a significant amount of time in the cage (more than 30 minutes each, and we could have stayed in longer, but the water is cold! even with the dry suit). Go with Ecoventures -- you will not be disappointed. My guide was Robert Cope and he's great.

Dec 26th, 2002, 05:32 PM
joe

If you read the CT newspaper you will see that people who do not want to dive/swim with sharks are unfortunately doing so. The beaches were closed for a while as more than one shark was spotted close in to the surf. I know that is not what you were asking but it is fyi.

Jan 4th, 2003, 07:46 AM
Ingrid

Does this White Shark Ecoventures company feed the shark from the boat so we can take the "must-see" picture of the open mouth and teeth poking out of the water?

Ingrid

Jan 10th, 2003, 01:04 PM
Michael

All of the operators, White Shark Ecoventures included, chum from the boat, so if you're lucky the sharks will come close. We had one shark arrive boatside with mouth agape, but I was not fast enough with my camera to get that photo, which involves luck and patience.

Jan 11th, 2003, 09:51 AM
Michael

I bet that was awesome and upsetting at the same time!!!
I guess you could have a camcorder going at all times, so you can get it on film.

Ingrid

Jan 13th, 2003, 06:00 AM
RnR

as an alternative, Hermanus, and see the whales from the shore, followed by a nice luncheon. There's a wonderful local artist studio. Why would anyone actually want to go down in a cage while they chum the area to bring in ther sharks. Give Bruce my best if you end up diving.

Jan 13th, 2003, 12:44 PM
Michael

In response to the immediate prior post, you can stop in Hermanus on the way back from Gaansbai, we did, and see the whales from the shore. My boredom quota was met after an hour and I couldn't imagine spending the entire day watching whales from the shore. They do chum the water, but the ocean is very clean -- afterall, natural attacks by sharks are bloody and lead to a chumslick. Have a great time and don't be dissuaded. And a stop on the way back in Hermanus, if its whale season, isn't a bad idea.

Feb 2nd, 2003, 08:15 PM

Hi!

We've decided to go with African Shark Eco-charters owned Chris Fallows and Rob Lawrence. They have been featured on Discovery Channel programs many times.

They conduct their dives away from the crowds - they go off of seal island. Lots of sharks there and not a lot of other boats around.

We are hoping to have pictures taken with them and have them autograph their posters (apexpredators.com) - hooray!!!

This should be a lot fun and is truly one of the highlights of the trip for us. We have done this before off of the California coast, but this should be better...

Ingrid

Search this Thread