Diving and Photo Ops

Apr 19th, 1999, 07:52 PM
Phil G

Diving and Photo Ops

My son and I are working on, well at least thinking on a dive trip in South Africa with the "Great Whites". Y would also liketo do photo safari. I /we would appreciate any suggestions on tour operators and the like...or eve na do it ourselves with some help. Thanks in advance
Phil

Jun 11th, 1999, 12:29 PM
ives

Hi,
Try Kwa Zulu Natal, both the North and South Coasts. South of Durban, at a wreck off the town of Umkomaas you can find a ragged-toothed shark breeding area, not much of a town though (I know I lived there for a long time!) South Africa and its coastline and sea is beautiful and well worth a visit. Enjoy your stay!!

Jul 7th, 1999, 11:22 PM
Milton

Hi Phil, You'll find cage diving in Cape Town the best place for GW's up close. But you can get to see a greater variety of sharks on the KwaZulu Natal south coast around Shelley Beach/ Port Shepstone. Sites to visit are: Lander's reef, Protea Banks (plenty Zambezi's ,GW's, Thresher's & Raggies... especially around August to November). No cages here though!!!

For more tropical diving (and much warmer water) try north of Durban at Sodwana Bay (SA's dive mecca!)

For more details on accommodation, dive operators/charters and prices.....mail me and I'll see what I can do for you.

As regards photo safari: the water is usually very clear (and freezing cold +- 10degreesC) around Cape Town. Great photo opportunities for kelp beds & cape fur seals, who get quite inquisitive! Further up the east coast the water gets warmer and the soft corals get more abundant and colorful. Further north up the east coast is Sodwana (again) with even more beautiful (hard) corals and prolific fish life.

Between dives there are great adventures to be had in the beautiful winelands of Cape Town and Stellenbosch. In KZN (the most beautiful province in the whole country) the green rolling hills of sugar cane, the golden baeches, the blue/green sea, the most beautiful women in the world....... what can I say? Get here!

Jul 8th, 1999, 01:15 AM
Me

Please think twice about doing a cage dive. Not only is it unnatural, but it is bad for the locals - meat is put out to attract the sharks when you're diving. Unfortunately that teaches the sharks to associate meat with boats. Shark attacks/deaths in the area have increased a lot since the introduction of cage diving. I know I would never support this.

Search this Thread