Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Distance driving between Kichwa Tembo & Siana Springs Intrepid

Distance driving between Kichwa Tembo & Siana Springs Intrepid

Aug 12th, 2005, 08:12 PM
Original Poster

Distance driving between Kichwa Tembo & Siana Springs Intrepid

Can anybody tell me what the travel time would be approx. between these two camps. Also does anyone know the approx. Miles or Km. from one end of the Masai Mara Reserve to the other?
Aug 13th, 2005, 03:22 AM
sandi

Don't know the distance in miles of km, but Kichwa Tembo is in the Northwest sector of the Mara area, while Siana Springs is in the Northeast sector. Both if arriving by road from Nairobi are approached from different points. How to get from one to the other would be by road or maybe consider a short flight between the two.

Aug 13th, 2005, 11:57 AM
bwanamitch

Kichwa Tembo is located on Kimintet Group Ranch, a Masai cooperative north of the north-western part of Masai Mara National Reserve. Siana Springs Intrepids is located on Siana Group Ranch which borders the Masai Mara NR in the east and north-east. One possible route for a road transfer will be through Masai Mara NR, entering at Oloololo Gate and leaving at Sekenani Gate, with a road distance of around 80 km. Speed limit in the Reserve is 50 km/h, so you can make this transfer in less than two hours if you don't spend any time game watching.

The Masai Mara NR stretches about 70 km in SE-NW direction.

Mitch

Aug 13th, 2005, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Mitch,
Thanks for this information, now that I know the approx. km. between points I am starting to get a better understanding of this area.Does anyone know what happens if I want a baloon ride and the camp I am staying at does not offer it.
Aug 13th, 2005, 02:32 PM

I believe there are several departure points in the Masai Mara for balloon rides, so it's just a matter of transporting you to the nearest location to whatever camp you're staying in.
Aug 13th, 2005, 02:36 PM
bwanamitch

The balloon operators collect clients at several camps and lodges before dawn. However, if this activity isn't listed on the website of your camp, I'm afraid you won't have the opportunity of this adventure, unless you can convince your camp management to manage an early morning road transfer to the next meeting point.

Mitch

Aug 13th, 2005, 02:51 PM
sandi

Mitch - thanks for the exact kms... I wasn't quite sure except for where each camp located.

lyban - if you're interested in a balloon ride, it is suggested you arrange this prior arriving in Kenya.

Are you working with a tour operator? Are you on a group or private tour. If with an operator and group or private safari, speak with them about this activity and see what arrangements are made. If with a group, it's possible others in the group might be interested and arrangements can be made for your guide to get you to the departure point. Same if you're on a private safari - the guide/driver will get you there, unless in either case the balloon operator will handle the transfer.

Try to ascertain all pertinent information beforehand and if interested book this or at least make the reservation and pay on site. They do take credit cards as payment.

Aug 14th, 2005, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for the replies. I will make certain that everything I want is mentioned with the operator I choose beforehand.

Search this Thread