Disney's "African Cats" film - starts Fri Apr 22, Earth Day

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2011, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Filmed in the Masai Mara, following two cat families - lion and cheetah. Other game also. Disney will be donating, from first week attendees, part of your ticket price to "cat" charity (sorry, don't recall which).

Though a "G" movie, some portions might not be appropriate for very young children.
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 09:48 AM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
I have been looking forward to seeing this film. Sharon (shatay) and I saw Disney vehicles in the Mara in Sep09 and wondered what they were filming for. I guess we know now.
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 12:16 PM

It's not playing for only one day, is it?
How I still remember when Disney first came on TV (1955?), hosted by Walt, and they had a few African wildlife shows. Those mesmerized me and I'm sure imprinted my young developing brain cells to make me love safaris today

regards - tom
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 06:03 PM

Yep the post it note is on the fridge!

Saw a few of the trailers and got all verklempt, the full feature may require a full tissue box.

The movie theatres here have been advertising it as "In theatres only April 22" altho I've yet to see it on any of the movie schedules.
Old Apr 19th, 2011, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Starts on April 22nd and assume will have a normal run which can be a few weeks or months.

However, noticed, even here in NYC it's only showing at one theatre* and looking further down the list, seems only one in many places - Long Island, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, etc. Then, I guess, after the preliminary release will go onto more screens... we can only hope.

*maybe to get the Earth Day opening and competing with a long list of other films currently showing; having to wait for more screen openings.

Further, to Disney's donation from paid tickets to "Save the Savannah" it's supposedly on advanced bookings vs movie goers during the first week. And from the one theatre in NYC, only availability is on the 12am showing... so guess it'll be a sell-out.
Old Apr 19th, 2011, 06:45 PM

Hi Sandi,

I've been looking forward to seeing this movie, and I just found this website that shows it is playing at several theaters in NYC this weekend, although it appears to be only at Kips Bay and a few in the burroughs on Thursday 4/21. I'm on the Upper Eastside and fortunately it looks like I have a few locations I can actually walk (or run) to the theater this weekend.

See Link below and change date to Friday or Saturday to see more theaters so that you don't have to make the midnight showing!

http://www.nyc.com/movies/title/afri...s.aspx#content

Enjoy,
Judy
Old Apr 20th, 2011, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Judy -

I'm also on the UES, and noticed the theatre downtown when I went into Moviefone yesterday... wasn't jumping up/down, but then, I didn't check further, but will in order to find a theatre nearby.

Hey, we should GTG sometime.
Old Apr 20th, 2011, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Just checked the link and it's playing nearby... whoopie! It's supposed to rain this w/e... ideal for being indoors and enjoying Afree-kah at the same time.
Old Apr 20th, 2011, 06:42 PM

Hi Sandi,

Manhattan is much smaller than people think and who knows we could even be neighbors!

After the winter we've experienced I hate to hear about the rain as I'd love a sunny afternoon in the park, although you're right that it will be a good time to see the movie. I'm almost equal distance between the 62nd Street and 86th street theaters, so its nice to have a few choices close by.

I'd love to GTG sometime as you've not only provided incredible knowledge and insights to all of us on the boards, you were also a great influence during the planning of my first safari last summer in Kenya which contributed to my new found passion for Africa. You can always private message me either thru here (not sure how that exactly works on Fodors) or on the TA boards at JudyNY. Hope you enjoy the movie!
Old Apr 21st, 2011, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Judy - Yup, plenty of theatres between 62nd (Bloomies) & 86th and I see it will be at the Orpheum.

I'll PM on TA as Fodor's doesn't have this capability.
Old Apr 21st, 2011, 09:12 AM

It's also available to put on your Netflix "Save" list, though no date is yet listed for DVD availability.
Old Apr 21st, 2011, 12:03 PM

Hey guys, I'm here on behalf of Disney. I love the enthusiasm for African Cats! We've recently partnered with entertainment social network GetGlue for African Cats stickers, and wanted to share the opportunity to get some with you all. Check out the link below!

http://getglue.com/stickers/african_cats_coming_soon

I'm also glad to answer any questions you have about the movie. It'll be releasing tomorrow, coinciding with Earth Day. Please share your thoughts about the film after you see it, I'm excited to hear what you have to say!
Old Apr 21st, 2011, 12:11 PM

Hi, sure, thanks, what happens to the movie after it opens Friday? General distribution? There is some speculation that it plays for only Friday and then goes directly to DVD?

regards - tom
Old Apr 21st, 2011, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

tom -

From the movie link Judy provided, it's got a regular run at theatres. Beats me what "regular" is, a few weeks or longer, but it is NOT only Friday.

I don't do DVD. It's either in the theatre or it's not!
Old Apr 21st, 2011, 12:39 PM

Tom -

It will run past Friday for sure, just like our last two Disneynature films. I'd like to direct you to the Disney "Tickets Together" application for Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/apps/applic...20295274648066

It'll show you that showings will definitely be available beyond Friday. If you're interested in catching the movie, I recommend checking it out this weekend, because a portion of opening week ticket sales go to Disney's "Save the Savanna" initiative.

Currently, a DVD release date is not yet scheduled.

Thanks!
Old Apr 21st, 2011, 01:30 PM

Many thanks DP and sandi.
FWIW, we have annual passes for DL Calif.

regards - tom
Old Apr 21st, 2011, 03:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am really looking forward to seeing this film! I don't think they were filming when I was the Mara last year...?

I also plan to see IMAX's Born to Be Wild this weekend, a doc about the Sheldrick elephant orphan project in Kenya and a similar project with orangutans in Borneo.
Old Apr 21st, 2011, 07:51 PM

Lot's of hype today in Vancouver's papers about African Cats.

Thankfully my fav local movie theatre is showing it so won't have to drive out to the burbs. Oooooo I can't wait!!
Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 05:11 PM

Really enjoyed this movie and can't wait for next year to see Chimpanzee.
Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 06:13 PM

Enjoyed it also even tho the theatre was having projector problems so disappointingly the focus was off. They were good enough to provide vouchers to come back again at another time.

Loved the credits!!

For those who have been to the Mara do the 3 cheetah brothers stay in a particular area or roam the whole Mara? Will be there in June and really hope to see them. How will we know if we come across Sita, Mara or any of the other stars?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -