Discover Egypt Tours (Viking 1 or 2)

Feb 22nd, 2003, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Discover Egypt Tours (Viking 1 or 2)

I'd like to hear from anyone who has had dealings with Discover Egypt(London, England) In particular the nile cruise on the Viking 1 or Viking 2 boats. Any pros or cons with such things as transfers, meals, service I'm also interested in hearing from someone who took the excursion that you can book through them to Abu Simbal?
Jennifer
Feb 23rd, 2003, 03:11 AM

Don't know about Discover Egypt, but most day trips to Abu Simbel are virtually identical, since they are government/EgyptAir affiliated. You take a short (about an hour) flight to Abu Simbel airport (decent size plane) on EgyptAir. There are continuously running shuttle buses to site - all you need to do is watch the time so you end up at the shuttle to airport at correct time for your flight.

When you get to historic site you pass by the ever-present vendors who will nag you to buy stuff on your way out. It is a short walk to see site, although it is one of the hottest places I have ever been. (Valley of Kings is hotter). We spent a few hours there and were then ready to get back on plane.

Total time of trip - we left on early AM flight and were back on Nile cruise boat by late afternoon. It seemed to us a lot of money and were not sure if we wanted to take another flight, etc. - but after getting responses from many here not to miss it, we went and are thrilled we did - it is amazing - both as an ancient wonder and imagining moving these huge structures up the cliffs.
Feb 23rd, 2003, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Gail for your input.
Jennifer

Search this Thread